In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1boniato masculinebatata femininecamote masculine Mexico Andes
- I had pan-fried duck, black pudding and rosemary boudin with slivers of venison saddle, roast sweet potato and hoi sin sauce.
- While there isn't any cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes or pumpkin pie to be had, there is plenty of brandy, gin, and wine on hand.
- Soju is an ancient Korean and Japanese liquor distilled from rice, barley and sweet potatoes, with a light, crisp taste and mouth feel similar to vodka.
- Cut the sweet potato, parsnip and broccoli into bite-sized chunks and add to the curry with the shallots and lemongrass.
- Arrange the sweet potatoes, onions and peppers in a roasting pan and drizzle with the oil, vinegar and salt and pepper.
- On top I use sweet potato rather than white potato, as it's packed with B vitamins.
- Roasted rabbit, boiled sweet potato and baked pies with vegetable filling are local specialties.
- About an hour and a half before I train, I have a meal that contains fish, chicken or a shake, a sweet potato or brown rice, and asparagus or broccoli.
- Common vegetables are cabbage, beans, mushrooms, carrots, cassava, sweet potatoes, onions, and various types of greens.
- The country has long been known for vegetables and fruits, including avocados, radishes, potatoes, sweet potatoes, squash, carrots, beets, onions, and tomatoes.
- The designer had the free range chicken stuffed with sweet potatoes and chèvre, wild rice, sautéd spinach roast pepper and tomato dressing at £14.
- This is one of the tastier winter squashes, with creamy pulp that tastes a bit like sweet potatoes.
- But to eradicate malnutrition, we grow maize, beans, soya beans, sweet potatoes, cassava, pumpkins and many others.
- Oatmeal, along with sweet potatoes, wheat breads, rice and corn, is a complex carb, also known as a starch.
- Each tray contains two flavours, such as apple and pear or sweet potato and courgette, for a choice of colours and textures.
- Opt for complex carbohydrates like sweet potatoes and brown rice over simpler ones like those found in sweets, and don't forget your fats.
- Heat-loving crops such as tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, sweet potatoes, okra and New Zealand spinach will continue to produce until frost.
- On the Agricultural Research Council fields outside Huambo varieties of sweet potatoes, maize, potatoes, soy beans and peanuts are being planted.
- It may contain veal, beef, or lamb, sliced calf's foot, chickpeas or beans, potatoes or sweet potatoes, green vegetables such as spinach, and always hard-boiled eggs.
- I ate slices of potato hash, four portions of Jerseys and 10 sweet potatoes.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.