In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1traje de baño masculinebañador masculine Spainvestido de baño masculine Colombiamalla (de baño) feminine River Plate
- As ever we packed for every eventuality with clothes ranging from t-shirts and short, swimming costumes, jumpers, waterproof coats, thick jackets.
- I think the Victorians had it right on this one when they made everyone wear full length swimming costumes.
- Grabbing their linen swimming costumes and towels from their bedrooms, they hurried off to the lake.
- It was the end of October and I was wearing a woollen swimming costume.
- Bring plenty of books and magazines to pass the time, and comfortable clothing and sports gear, including a swimming costume.
- I take two or more bikinis / swimming costumes when I go on holiday.
- For £1 a time people stand in their swimming costumes under the warm air heaters and wait.
- We jumped out of the spa bath in just our swimming costumes and ran back indoors.
- The summer is not that far away and people are perhaps a bit worried about fitting into their swimming costumes.
- Those newly revived 1930s shorts-style swimming costumes must be avoided at all costs - they looks hideous on everyone.
- I would bring lose of different clothes like jeans, trousers, shirts, T-shirts, swimming costumes, flippers and goggles, shorts if it is hot.
- A lot of hardy Scots braved what were chilly conditions and sported swimming costumes and even bikinis.
- A lot of the people we saw had lost everything in the disaster and were dressed in swimming costumes and little else.
- There are some gorgeous, swimming costumes available for mums-to-be, so no excuses!
- It was a bit embarrassing when I first went for a dip as I didn't have a swimming costume and had to wear a hand-me-down bikini from my half-sister.
- She had put on her linen swimming costume under her clothes in case she had to swim to the island.
- More than 100 people - many still in swimming costumes - were evacuated from a pool after a ceiling light caught fire.
- ‘It will be their summer in August, but we've been told to take fleeces as well as swimming costumes, and all in a small rucksack,’ she said.
- They visited a steam bath enclosed in a brick pyramid, and stripped down to their swimming costumes.
- Forget those swimming costumes, mini-skirts and leisurely beach walks in bright sunshine on Christmas Day.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.