In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1columpio en forma de barca
- There's also story-telling, kids' craft activities, a Victorian helter-skelter and swingboats, a beer tent and local produce, food and drink.
- The promenade is two miles long and still has old favourites such as swingboats and crazy golf.
- Over 50 Showman's engines with their gleaming, twisted brass generate the light and power for the old roundabouts and swingboats to operate.
- Other activities favoured by the younger visitors to the park are the miniature railway, swingboats and playland outdoor play area.
- While modern rollercoasters and large swingboats may excite most of the terror on fairground rides, it is the humble roundabout that causes the most accidents.
- We also had face-painting, a barbecue, teacup and swingboat rides and a selection of giant inflatables.
- Beyond the marquee were swingboats, bouncy castle, a ferris wheel, fatsuits for sumo-wrestling, and a candy-floss and popcorn van.
- It was where, as a teenager, he saw the fairground showmen set up camp with waltzers, dodgems and swingboats.
- As well as the mini swingboats and waltzers there is a distorting mirror, fairground organ and flats - the huge panels decorated with extravagant swirls at fairgrounds of the past.
- A swashbuckling ride in this exciting swingboat which reaches an angle of 60 degrees on either side!
- One day my son and eldest nephew persuaded me to go on the swingboat there
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.