In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1suizoSwiss German/French/Italian — el alemán/francés/italiano que se habla en Suiza
- The Swiss cities of Zurich, Bern and Geneva are the best cities for quality of life, while Luxembourg is the world's safest.
- Raised in Pennsylvania, he spent the summers in Switzerland with his Swiss architect father.
- They insisted on the people being consulted in a Swiss style referendum where the details are on the table before, and not after they vote.
- The music was written by a Swiss fan, and then I added the lyric.
- The right in Switzerland has grown out of a peculiarly Swiss sensibility which is unlike any other in Europe.
- Several other Swiss firms have also incurred substantial losses in the past year, as markets continue to underperform.
- Indians have told time for generations with the finest of Swiss watches.
- The 1950s former Swiss air force trainer jet had flown four times over the crowd before trying to turn when it corkscrewed and plummeted into a ridge.
- Each household has its own favourite recipe, some containing Swiss cheeses that you're unlikely to see outside Switzerland.
- The Swiss company says it was surprised at the announcement of the one day strike with provisional agreement on the cameras made in March.
- A role model for any Swiss woman, Maja was born in Zurich, Switzerland, to doctor parents.
- In 2001 Switzerland imported Bulgarian goods worth some 60 million Swiss francs.
- It was founded in 1989 with the aim providing local Swiss audiences with quality opera and cantata performances.
- The seizure is believed to have been prompted by a news item that included photographs of Swiss police officers at a G8 summit.
- However, conditions on the mountain are treacherous and a Swiss team has already had two members so badly injured they were evacuated by helicopter.
- As an honorary citizen and permanent resident, the Swiss businessman has been living and working in Shanghai for seven years.
- Most Swiss youngsters have to choose in their mid-teens whether to pursue competitive sport, education or an apprenticeship.
- And then there were the two Swiss men in the cell with him; like him they had never been charged - yet they had spent a year and a half in custody.
- Apart from this company, an American, a French and a Swiss firm had bid for the consulting contract with the Finance Ministry.
- See the page on card games in Switzerland for further information on games with Swiss cards.
1suizo masculinesuiza feminineFrench/German/Italian Swiss — suizo francés/alemán/italiano masculine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.