In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He did his best to show enthusiasm for my sycophantic drivel.
- I suppose there was the inevitable, uncharitable flicker of hostility towards a woman who could, in this day and age, devote herself with such sycophantic subservience to men.
- I not only love movies, I'm also fascinated with the larger star-making machine that is Hollywood and the sycophantic press that supports it.
- I guess some people thought I was a creep, offering sycophantic praise of someone who happens to be my boss.
- A sycophantic business press worshipped at their shrine.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.