In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Our last concert was a programme bursting with superb concert band, symphonic, jazz and choral sounds.
- A concert of American symphonic jazz will be staged in Shanghai this Saturday.
- Furthermore, unlike many film composers, he thought of at least some of his movie music as symphonic and arranged his cues into symphonic suites.
- My father prefers everything else, especially symphonic music, but on occasion he'll play traditional Asian music.
- On the new release, Fitton emphasizes his music's symphonic dimension.
- If the instrumentation is more sparse, the music is no less symphonic in its scale and approach than we would hope.
- It can't modulate, and thus, in the context of symphonic music, cannot give you the sense of transformation.
- Matthews has defined symphonic music as being one which ‘contrasts dynamic energy with passivity’.
- Tristania combines rock, Goth, death metal, black metal, classical music and symphonic rock on February 18 at Manchester Academy.
- Instead of allowing you to enjoy the natural symphonic presentation of his music, you get some awful '80s-synth revamp.
- The finale follows immediately - a big symphonic waltz à la Dvorák or Nielsen.
- The Finale is almost symphonic in breadth and nature and the whole quartet is one of the overlooked masterpieces of the genre.
- The sense of forward momentum doesn't quite get as far as it needs to, and an overenthusiastic attack of subsidiary climaxes weaken the major symphonic climax Simpson has written in.
- The symphonic character of Gustav Mahler's music gave me the freedom to create a drama out of the music rather than retell a pre-written story.
- If Meyer decided to work in longer forms, he might yet give us the folk analogue to Gershwin's symphonic jazz pieces.
- The last two works were part of the new genre of symphonic ballets; the idea of setting dance to symphonic music was a cause of great controversy at the time.
- From quietly beautiful chamber pieces, to daring set ups of symphonic proportions, there have, indeed, been many offerings to relish from across the globe.
- At times, the music is practically symphonic and then it just as easily turns harsh and destructive.
- No conductor did more to bring Mahler into the symphonic mainstream, and none did more to consolidate this orchestra's special relationship to Mahler's music.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.