In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- A synchromesh feature enables shifting from low to high range at speeds up to 30 mph and from high to low range below 10 mph.
- My first car, the one I learnt to drive in, was an NSU Prinz with no synchromesh between first and second.
- The 6-speed manual gearbox developed for the Volvo S60 R and VT0 R now has made its entry in the Volvo S40 T5 which features triple synchromesh.
- She was coming off the track now, not bothering to downshift; he heard the gears whine into neutral, and recognized the sound of aging synchromesh.
- There appeared to be no breakage so they replaced the synchromesh and charged me £700.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.