In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(ordered structure)sistema masculinemétodo masculine
- Critics of this three-way scheme say the system will cause more problems than it solves.
- How do we integrate personal recordkeeping into our normal focus on organizational systems?
- But in alternative and complementary medicine other systems of communication are recognized.
- The quota management system is designed to ensure sustainability.
- A four-letter alphabet might seem a rather limited system for writing complex messages.
- It has an electoral system which in principle should be the envy of the world.
- They are supportive of a multi-party system, and are against capital punishment.
- In the wake of demanding democracy in the Middle East, our nation's value system requires it.
- And they are fretting about the security of their email and diary management system.
- Farms with similar animal handling systems used them in different ways.
- Such a slate is required under the country's electoral system of proportional representation.
- The new system uses the same principles in effect all across the country.
- Twenty years ago, Indonesia created an integrated forest management system based on principles of conservation biology.
- The new animation system will enable us to add some really amazing elements to the game.
- We need a system that distributes wealth according to need rather than greed.
- Of course, this seems like a pretty complex system for what we used to call roll call.
- Common law and civil law systems recognize the principle of compensation for losses caused by faults for which others are legally responsible.
- Pakistani players are currently paid per match according to a grading system based on seniority.
- The contents of this closet are organized according to a system I have yet to master.
- Equity has traditionally been a system which matches established principle to the demands of social change.
1.2(procedure)sistema masculinefiling/classification system — sistema de archivo/clasificación
- to get to know the system — familiarizarse con el sistema
- there's no system in your approach — tu enfoque no es nada sistemático / metódico
1.3(organizational whole)sistema masculinethe prison system — el sistema penitenciario
2.1(technical, mechanical)sistema masculinea missile system — un sistema de misiles
- all systems go! — ¡todo bien!
- In fact, for some lakes these sewage systems have already been completely diverted.
- No one has ever accomplished this for complex health system improvements.
- The simplest water supply and storage systems can be extraordinarily complex.
- The goal was to build a modern transport system that could connect the whole country.
- So far, concrete and metal reinforcements and fire protection systems have been completed.
- To make matters worse, the management of water systems was completely taken over by the government.
- They maximise the utility of the system as a whole by solving a predetermined problem.
- The ship's vital systems are now operational and are running normally.
- But at the most fundamental level I think they should try reforming the mental health system in this country.
- No true entertainment system is complete without a great light show to go with it.
- The city's power system collapsed even before the monsoon.
- However, often no one person has a sense of what is going on in the system as a whole.
- The move is part of the Government's plans to overhaul the criminal justice system.
- City engineers proposed installing a more efficient drainage system in the affected areas.
- Rather than wait the ten days for the results to come back we chlorinated all the water systems completely.
- The proportion of other gasses is always kept constant on the earth by the help of interconnected complex systems.
- He wanted to see the two systems actually mesh together and communicate with each other so it was possible to step off a tram and onto a train at the same platform.
- The complex of field systems and large stone walls extend from the north western slopes of Mount Brandon to within the boundaries of Dingle.
- So, the message here is to plant trees with deeper root systems, preferably complete with tap roots.
- Plans to reform family law, to reform the criminal justice system and to outlaw internet grooming are expected.
- The software can look out over various servers and storage systems and puts all of the hardware in a single panel for the users.
- As usually, the worm starts and ends with the unpatched available system.
- If the primary backup system is a disk array, then there is no protection from the virus.
- Even when I try to get my head out of the clouds and try to focus on our Linux systems, I think application launchers.
- One way to get these economies is to roll up the smaller software, systems, and hardware into the larger system.
2.3Audioequipo masculineequipo de sonido masculineequipo de audio masculine
3.1the digestive/respiratory system — el aparato digestivo/respiratorio
- the nervous system — el sistema nervioso
- This in turn enhances the delivery of oxygen and nutrients to the cells of the body helping the body systems to function to the best of their ability.
- If you have had part of your stomach or other organs removed, this will affect your digestive system.
- No prisoner wants to be caught with drugs in their system, so they choose to shoot up rather than smoke a joint.
- If the indigestion continues, your doctor may want to send you for further investigation of your digestive system.
- Decreased kidney function is associated with complications in virtually all organ systems.
- It is related to the excretory system, reproductive organs and the genital regions.
3.2(body)cuerpo masculineorganismo masculinemy system can't cope with so much food — mi cuerpo / mi organismo no puede con tanta comida
4.1(form of government)sistema masculinecapitalist/democratic system — sistema capitalista/democrático
4.2(establishment, status quo)the system — el sistema
- it is the system which is at fault — lo que falla es el sistema
5(for gambling)fórmula femininemartingala feminine Southern Cone
- What is the impact of this early breakthrough on the current state of the art in Blackjack card counting systems?
- Gambling is a sea of systems floating shore to shore, like notes in bottles bobbing on the waves.
- Sometimes I receive mailings from individuals who are selling systems to beat Keno.
- Betting systems, that is, the manipulation of money, cannot overcome the math of craps.
- Over the centuries, individuals have tried elaborate betting systems.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.