In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(pill)pastilla femininecomprimido masculine
2British(of soap)pastilla feminine
- Before the ‘boys’ came along everything at the factory was done by hand - including cutting the soap into bars or tablets.
3(plaque)placa femininefeminine lápida
- The clay cuneiform tablets, only inches tall, record business from about 2000 B.C.
- They are found carved in rock, ceramics, clay tablets, mosaics, manuscripts, stone patterns, turf, hedges, and cathedral pavements.
- This cult of sacrifice is eulogised in a number of inscriptions on tablets called the hero-stones found in this part of the country and these glorify the warrior clans and their valor.
- An old walled kitchen garden to the east has become the setting for stone tablets inscribed by letter cutters.
- The names of foreign enemies and Egyptian traitors were inscribed on clay pots, tablets, or figurines of bound prisoners.
- As if memories were not enough, two stone tablets with inscriptions and a copper plate were unearthed from inside the church.
- Any significant ancient ruler required a personal seal for signing clay tablets and other inscriptions.
- Our signs carved in stone, inscribed on clay tablets, painted on walls, papyrus or on pieces of leather, could be transported to different places and people.
- A votive tablet found in Plovdiv and now housed at the National Archaeological Museum in Sofia depicts one such occurrence.
- From beneath mounds of sand and debris, Babylon and Nineveh were exposed to view together with whole libraries of clay cuneiform tablets.
- The oldest extant writing surfaces include Babylonian clay tablets and Indian palm leaves.
- This story of Moses' summons to go to the mountain to receive the tablets of stone would have been a familiar text to temple leaders and other practicing Jews of Jesus' day.
- Many of these Han burials were readily identifiable by inscribed stone stelae, tablets recording the name, titles, and dates of the deceased.
- Representations of votive tablets on pillars, however, also occur on a number of regular votive reliefs.
- The tablet's inscription tells the story of Zhu Yuanzhang, the first emperor of the Ming Dynasty.
- Among them is a single display of Babylonian cuneiform tablets that accounts for nine missing items.
- We have an inscription on a stone tablet which contains a date which translates to 876.
- Thousands of cuneiform tablets and ancient Christian, Muslim and Jewish manuscripts are gone.
- Moses is clutching under his right arm what must be the twin tablets of stone upon which he inscribed the Ten Commandments.
(for writing)tablilla feminine
- She is sitting at her window with her writing tablet, the full moon providing substantial light.
- In her arms was a writing tablet and a pencil, looking like they were about to fly out of her hands at any moment.
- Pulling his writing tablet from his harness pouch, Alan retrieved the pen he'd placed in the side of his war collar.
- It consisted of a video of a little girl's hand clasping a pencil and writing on a tablet.
- Legal pad enthusiasts do seem to have a psychological connection to their writing tablets.
- And speaking of notes, an anonymous hand-scrawled poem mysteriously appeared on a communal writing tablet in the bathroom that night.
5(pad of paper)bloc masculine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.