In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- As they saw it, many details concerning clan histories and taboo places have been forgotten over the past few generations.
- For many it is a taboo subject which leaves people feeling isolated and vulnerable.
- Al-Jazeera gives air-time to their Arab leaders' opponents and to ordinary viewers and discusses taboo political and social topics.
- Hearing them talk, you'd have thought the very subject was taboo: awe, wonder and, yes, fear crept into their voices.
- Contraception and abortion - once taboo topics - have been enshrined into law.
- In the Solomon Islands, shrines are always taboo places.
- In front of the big screen this behaviour is generally considered taboo.
- Divorce is still taboo in some cultures - find an immigrant family that has been rocked by one.
- In the not too distant past, talk of sex was strictly taboo.
- As society engages in dialogue on these issues no subject will be taboo.
- Why do you think sex is still so taboo in the U.S.?
- The hornets are numerous down in that cave; we do not touch it; it is taboo.
- Totems of specific clans, healers, or royal dynasties are taboo to certain members of some ethnic groups.
- On a day for women, culturally taboo subjects like female sexuality can be openly acknowledged.
- Previously taboo areas were opened for examination, and laws and legal attitudes were modified.
- But his live show is much more casually cruel, and no matter how sensitive a subject, nothing is taboo for his one-liners.
- As a writer, he comes across as someone who feels that by trumpeting loudly about a taboo subject he is breaking down social barriers.
- But whether it should be taboo even to discuss such issues, as some are arguing, is another question.
- I mean it doesn't mean that I want to be rude, it's not that, it's just that you go to certain spaces that are taboo.
- Certain subjects are taboo, or too emotive to be examined with objectivity.
- The fact that the subject is taboo also means that a man who is traumatized by the experience may be retraumatized again and again, with each child born to him.
- Our culture has become distinctly sexualised over the past 20 years, and subjects that were once taboo are now openly discussed.
- Not only taboo places but also mountain tops were known to be frequented by spirits.
- Information and counseling on once taboo subjects are now freely available, yet traditional mores still predominate.
- Christianity was another force that was gradually eliminating dangers from spirits based at taboo sites.
- The topic is so taboo that it almost can't be talked about.
- Once taboo, birth control and family planning are quietly available to discreet couples.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.