In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- His tactic is to approach strangers asking for money, often bursting into tears.
- He copied the tactic to win his first race and continues to ride with the same enthusiasm six years on.
- I mused over this for a few moments before picking the tactic I thought would reap the best results.
- This is our usual tactic, to let her wake up all the way before we go in and get her out of bed.
- Once he spotted Dylan, his musical hero, at an airport and tried the same tactic.
- It is a tactic that may be desired when taking on the very best in Europe.
- There are signs that the tactic is paying off, even among staunch supporters of evolution.
- It's a wise tactic, and one that helps keep her performances honest, raw and real.
- This isn't a bad tactic as it can rile players and make them make rash judgement calls in the hope that they can knock you out.
- I think it's just a deliberate tactic they use to keep the game at their pace.
- I am pretty sure this is a negotiating tactic to get me to buy him that drum machine.
- You do not have to accept an investigation that drags on for years - a tactic some inspectors use.
- It is an old tactic and the only one to resort to when you are caught the way they have been.
- Their only tactic seems to be to shock their client's way into the headlines.
- A favourite tactic is to slowly move up and down the platform quietly expelling air.
- I am glad I was talking to him out of the window, as his next tactic would probably have been to jam his foot in the door.
- So then I tried the tactic of being withdrawn and cool and the relationship just disappeared.
- She says that not only does the tactic make the corruption seem less severe, it is less inflammatory.
- This is a deliberate tactic to cover up the cheaper prices of my bus trips.
- At two schools at which he has used the same tactic, grades have improved through the homework ban.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.