In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Hands quickly reached for taffrails, stanchions, ratlines or some sort of support, and, a moment later, Raven spun the wheel with all her strength to the right until the helm was hard over.
- He noted Kennedy at the taffrail looking back towards whence they had come.
- He listened to his steps retreat to the taffrail.
- Pamela was not sitting on the deck, but she was standing near the taffrail looking off the stern.
- As soon as they passed the helmsman, he pulled her to the taffrail.
2(area of deck)coronamiento masculine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.