In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1masculine finalfeminine última partemasculine finalmasculine últimos añosthe tag end of the dictatorship — los últimos coletazos de la dictadura
- nothing was left but some tag ends — no quedaban más que restos
- Now pull the loop shorter through the granny knot to leave just an inch or so of loop and a short tag end.
- So it will be my way of talking about this tag end of the twentieth century and what it means to be an American.
- The strongest way to crimp is to pass the wire through the crimp, then through the swivel or hook eye, bring it back through the crimp a second time, then push the tag end of the wire inside the crimp's body a third time, then close the crimp.
- Tease the knot down to a size where the hook has just sufficient room to swing freely, pass the tag end through the crimp and use the cup to cup pliers to crimp hard.
- As, Barton Biggs, the economic strategist with Morgan Stanley Dean Witter, commented recently: ‘If inflation is almost non-existent at the tag end of a boom, what will happen during the recession?’
- Trimming the tag end of the knot or even simply cutting it can pose a problem for anglers more used to snipping monofilament.
- To our right, over the Atlantic, orange lightning glowed over the horizon from the tag end of yesterday's storm.
- It had seemed like just an idea, only a couple of hours at the tag end of another of my travels.
- For me, Ed helped to make sense of that too rarely cited tag end of Thomas's definition of our species, Animal rationale et risibile.
- There was no sign of his son anywhere among the tag ends of the harvest.
- For the ultimate in simplicity, we also developed a fail-safe method of dealing with the tag end of a finished bimini.
- The AFP writer and photographer got to the scene ‘in time’ to get photos of the tag end of the fight.
- Instead, have a doubled piece of whipping twine handy and after pulling the tag end of the mono down between the two standing parts, as it were, make a half-hitch around them with the length of whipping twine to jam the tag end in place.
- Its spiritual home is somewhere between the tag end of the 1960s and that bit of the early 1970s where waif-like girls pointed at balloons in an effort to advertise bread that made you thinner.
- Now with a very sharp blade, trim the tag end right back to the whipping, if there are any stray ends, quickly pass a cigarette lighter over where the tag end comes through the whipping, effectively singeing away any loose strands.
- Snug the knot up until it is of a size which will allow the hook to swing freely, pass the tag end of line though the crimp and snug it down close to the knot.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.