In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1to take sth upon oneself
- he took the responsibility upon himself — asumió la responsabilidad
- she has taken all the work upon herself — se ha echado encima todo el trabajo
- to take it upon oneself to + inf
- she took it upon herself to see them home — se le ocurrió que tenía que acompañarlos a casa
- he took it upon himself to invite her to my party — tuvo el tupé de invitarla a mi fiesta
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.