In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Politicstoma del poder femininemilitary takeover — golpe militar masculine
2Businessabsorción feminine(de una empresa por otra) adquisición feminine
- There has been heavy trading in Siebel shares on rumours of takeover or management buyout.
- Two weeks ago the group in a terse statement said it was in talks that may lead to a takeover of the company.
- The Reserve Bank of India has expressed its concerns about laws governing takeover of banks.
- Vladimir Romanov plans to help Hearts sign players ahead of his takeover bid.
- The takeover caused controversy when it was announced by rail chiefs in December.
- As the company suffers from such a low valuation, it could also be a target for a takeover.
- The government says it has no power to stop a takeover bid for Manchester United.
- All three companies argue that staggered board elections protect shareholders in a takeover attempt.
- The pair will be able to use their stake to thwart any takeover attempt.
- A £47 million takeover deal for a Bradford-based transport engineering business has been approved by its shareholders.
- He had won a hostile takeover of the retail empire created by the legendary Charles Clore.
- Today it is seen as a potential takeover target as earnings problems hammer its share price.
- Ebookers admitted in September that it had been holding takeover talks with a number of potential suitors.
- We have arranged banking terms on the same terms as we did for the takeover of Arnotts.
- The company has had a number of takeover offers from private and public US companies.
- In the city, rumours are rife that Railtrack could now be the subject of a takeover bid.
- The Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Employment must by law approve any takeover of a newspaper in the state.
- Our company has gone through a restructure and a takeover, which means job cuts and relocation.
- Vladimir Romanov was in the stands yesterday and will surely complete his takeover of the club in the week ahead.
- Using debt to finance a corporate takeover is precisely the same as taking out a mortgage.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.