In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1zapatillas de deporte femininetenis masculinedeportivas feminine Spain
- Since I am sport fanatic I'm more comfortable in track suits and takkies.
- Clad in over-sized T-shirts, track pants and worn-out takkies, the youngsters listen attentively as the trainers at the camp bark instructions on the importance of the upcoming championships.
- She has a penchant for dressing for the occasion, looks good in Xhosa traditional dress, school uniform (when education was also her portfolio) and should look rather fetching trotting in a skipper, joggers and takkies!
- Dressed in jeans, t-shirts and well-worn takkies, the young girls gather early for practice, chatting to friends and catching up on the latest news.
- She walks into Rosebank Mall in her All Star takkies, longish skirt, tied dreadlocks, a bag across her chest and her little girl running behind or in front of her.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.