In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- It had fresco brick wall sides peaking upward as if inside a tent, there were tanned pelts of animal skins as tapestries on the wall.
- The next day he taught us how to tan the skin, and make weapons and tools from the bones.
- Over saturation curls the skin and tans the hide
- Ostrich skins were tanned and made into boots, coats, wallets.
- Variations of these methods are still used by do-it-yourself outdoorsmen to tan hides.
- As for the rabbit skins, we are tanning the hides to make decorator rugs for our home, using the recipe from another issue of the magazine.
- Aside from doing taxidermy he also tans crocodile hide using a 2500-year-old rainforest bark method.
- Deer hides and small fur skins can be tanned at home through a variety of techniques.
- If you do not plan to tan the hide immediately after skinning it, remove as much of the flesh, fat, membranous tissue as possible.
- They also came from the odiferous chemicals used to tan animal hides into leather.
- Or perhaps you require chemicals with which to tan leather?
- On the second night, after a long day spent scraping and stretching and tanning a deer skin, he asked me what I was hiding from.
2(sun) poner moreno(sun) broncear(sun) tostar(sun) quemar Latin America
- He has short brown hair, he's tanned and he has sky blue eyes, and everyone loves him.
- She is tanned and curvy, with long, wavy, blonde hair.
- She was more tanned, the southern sun brightening her skin.
- Photographs of him at the time show he had striking good looks - he was tanned, with a head of thick black hair, well-built and fit.
- The chiseled features had always been tanned deeply by the sun.
- His hair was light brown, his skin tanned, and his body as healthy as could be.
- He is tanned in appearance and has slightly long, dark hair.
- It was a Japanese-American tanned girl with brown eyes, a red spaghetti strap dress with a yellow star and a wand.
- The other man was tanned, about 5ft 10 in, with short brown hair, possibly with a pierced left eyebrow.
- He was naturally tanned, had really dark brown hair and deep hazel eyes.
- He's tanned, fit and blessed, with a full thatch of light-brown hair.
- He was lightly tanned and the shade fit him perfectly.
- Her younger and less tanned sister had her shoulder length brown hair braided.
- A few minutes later the door opened and a small, pretty tanned girl with straight brown hair walked in.
- The children were tanned from free play in the sun.
- She was deeply tanned from the desert, and her deep brown skin seemed almost black against the soft white linen.
- She doesn't wear sunblock, and she's deeply tanned.
- He was tanned from swimming in the outdoor pools.
- Suddenly a fit, tanned surfer with a slouching hat appears with his dog between the palm trees welcoming the arriving guests.
- He was tanned and his unruly hair hung just above his eyes.
3tanned past participle(face/body) bronceado(body/face) moreno
1(become suntanned)broncearseponerse morenoquemarse Latin Americato tan easily — broncearse / ponerse moreno con facilidad
- I don't tan — yo no me pongo moreno
- If you love the sun, you can tan with a Playboy bunny sticker near your bikini line.
- Whether you're tanning on the beach or staying cool at the mall, these glosses will be perfect for subtle shine or a high powered sheen.
- I don't burn either, which is nice, but even if I spend eight hours under the Mediterranean sun, I don't tan.
- They were eligible for the study if they had very pale skin and on history were unable to tan despite exposure to sunlight.
- In case you are thinking why there is a line above the gstring tanline, I was tanning with a rather high-waist normal bikini bottom at first.
- If these critters are a problem I cover up, if not I wear shorts and short sleeve shirts with lots of P20 once a day sun filter, you will tan without burning.
- She and I, we're lying on our towels, mostly talking but also kind of tanning, because she claims she's actually tanning and not burning for once.
- Every day was sunny and, despite being blonde, I do tan.
- They were in the pool drinking beer and the other girls were tanning.
- For a fixed monthly price, you can tan as much as you want.
- As I was tanning, some random guy came up and talked to me.
- I don't tan easily, but all those days outdoors had weathered me, and given me restless nights suffering from sunburn.
- She tipped her sunglasses and looked at me sternly from the pool deck where she was tanning.
- She was lying on her back, trying to tan away the line from her shorts that she got during cheer practice.
- As time passed, we realized that, unlike the others, I did not tan.
- She doesn't tan easily; her skin is rather fair for someone who spends so much time outdoors.
- They sat tanning for a while and gossiping about everything, but mostly the boys.
- He had pale skin, but it was March, and even then I understood that people tanned in summer and lost color in winter.
- People I know who go tanning, tan a lot, and they look tan all the time, even if it's, like, January.
- They were tanning while relaxing in the warm bubbly Jacuzzi at Beaches Sandy Bay.
1(on skin)bronceado masculinemoreno masculine SpainI've lost my tan — se me ha ido el bronceado
- to have a deep tan — estar muy bronceado / moreno
- I mean, I never did get that perfect tan, so unless I invest some hard hours in a tanning booth or something they will never be perfect summer legs.
- Develop golden tans and honour requests for autographs.
- ‘I didn't have any expectations,’ he says through a thick Malibu tan.
- The holiday photographs show her apparently in the best of health, smiling on the balcony, her skin glowing with a tan.
- Most important, I'd like something that does not make me look washed-out or in need of a tan.
- Flawless skin and a radiant tan are key to complementing the clothing trends for spring and summer 2002.
- I got a decent base tan without turning into a blistery tomato.
- It is a busy time for vacation home rentals and theme parks alike, but also an excellent time to work on getting that gorgeous bronzed tan!
- It was lovely, a nice green colour that would have brought out your tan.
- The solution in the airbrush contains self-tanner, bronzer and a moisturizer, and results in a perfectly even all-over tan.
- Her nails are short and not in the least scary, there is no electric tan, deathly blonde hair or sticky lipstick.
- You get a half baked tan/sunburn due to being stooped over the shovel or work area, but the 95 degree heat helps sweat off the pounds.
- Other salons across Scotland are now looking at the technology, which its manufacturers claim is safer than sunbeds and gives a more natural tan.
- My eldest son's holiday reading was the brand new Harry Potter and, with his sun-streaked hair and mahogany tan, he looked like a local.
- And to prove he is a country boy, there is the v-neck open shirt tan.
- Later, he would grow a moustache and work on his tan, which is a deep, reddish-bronze colour.
- She recently had her dark hair cut short and now wears it gamine and honey-coloured, which suits her clean bone structure and a light summer tan.
- In the pages of every celebrity bible, there seemed to be no escape from her rich walnut tan, flashing diamond knuckledusters and distinctive gravelly features.
- The colour from her tan had all but drained from her, her limbs were heavy and powerless, but she was by no means dead.
- If you want the golden glow of a tan without exposure to damaging UV light, consider using sunless tanning products or bronzers.
- White wedding gowns are still red-hot, but more adventurous brides are bringing in more colour to their gowns, wearing dresses with a tan or beige or pink hue.
- These would be pale tan or yellow shirts adorned with the name of one's employer or sponsor on the back.
- Its offices, decorated in shades of pastel yellow and tan, looked perfectly professional - even stylish.
- We were impressed by the counter itself, plated in copper, which played nicely to the general tan and dark wood colours dominating the room.
- I'm convinced she got me addicted to girls with large eyes, hers a sparkling grey/blue nestled amongst long, light tan lashes.
- His face bore no expression whatsoever, he took off his tan coloured sunglasses and revealed dark eyes underneath the lens.
- Khaki, beige, tan, black, navy, and gray pants are the best options as these can be worn with pastel and neutral colors.
- They were a tan beige color that was accented by the walls and the carpets with more tan and beige colours.
- He is black and white in colour with a little tan on his face.
- She was dressed in tan fishing overalls with a fishing hat, bulky black boots, and a pink T-shirt underneath.
- Most yellow or tan types found in grocery and health-food stores are hard to digest and take forever to cook.
- Reddish brown to yellowish tan, they partly cover themselves with sand or mud to disappear from the view of their unwary prey.
- They were dressed in tan and gray short-sleeved uniforms, and they all bore holstered guns.
- The overriding colours are natural hues of tan, brown and olive greens contrasted with a bright white base, to give a soft, earthy look.
- Tim, to the uninitiated, may look just like many other tan coloured dogs but that would be an underestimation.
- They are usually brown, but can vary in colour from light tan to black.
- The puppies are both crossbred males, one is black and white and smooth-coated and the other is nearly all black with some tan colouring.
- Available in baby blue and tan - at that price, you can afford both.
- That tan dress was more than familiar; it was the most beautiful thing I had seen in a while.
- I suggest rich colors such as burgundy, black, tan, beige, and dark brown.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.