In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1tándem masculinein tandem
- we will operate in tandem — trabajaremos conjuntamente
- the cockpit has two seats in tandem — la cabina tiene dos asientos, uno detrás del otro
- we make decisions in tandem with their department — tomamos las decisiones conjuntamente / en tándem con su departamento
- Bikes on display included a tandem for an adult and child, an electric bike, a recumbent touring bike and a back-to-back recumbent bike for adventurous cyclists.
- Trek, the US bicycle manufacturer, with a factory in Carlow, has presented six tandems to Tandem Cycling Ireland for use as leisure and competition machines by the 80 impaired members of the organisation.
- If your not sure your child has the coordination to share in the operation of a tandem bike, there's a fun variation referred to as a bike trailer.
- Mum and dad would ride at the front of two tandems, with the children at the rear.
- Among the contingent were two tandems with a blind cyclist and a pilot on each one…
- About five hours into the ride, he mentioned casually that he preferred doing the race on a tandem, because the heavier bike made it so much more difficult.
- However, I did make a road bike, mountain bike and a tandem for this particular customer which did not shimmy.
- A man and woman sped through the intersection on a tandem bicycle, singing a song I couldn't make out, in a strong waltzing beat.
- On May 3 this year, she set out on what she thinks will be her last big sponsored effort - to cycle from Rome to Leeds, on a tandem, with her brother.
- A baby buggy costs a further £5 and trailers and a tandem are available for £10.
- There are also prizes for cyclists in numerous age group categories and also for tandems, which are becoming more and more popular.
- Cyclists are ranked according to their disability and face fierce competition on traditional bikes, three wheeled bikes or tandems.
- The beneficiary of this amazing journey would be the National Council for the Blind of Ireland and also taking part were two visually impaired cyclists on tandems.
- One man died and three people were injured after a freak accident involving a tandem bicycle and two horses.
- Big cash prizes are up for grabs for first female, male, mountain biker and tandem bikers in, and many, many lucky draw prizes are also to be won - irrespective of what category you enter.
- Should ladies ride in front, and thus steer, on a tandem?
- She took part despite training for only two weeks due to a severe illness following her last challenge, a tandem cycle ride from Rome to her home in Leeds.
- It means visually impaired people in Grimsby will have the chance to go out on a tandem bike with a sighted cyclist.
- Last year, she cycled over 1,300 miles from John O'Groats to Land's End on a tandem bicycle with her brother.
- This will make it impossible for trailerbikes and tandems carrying children and difficult for other types of bikes, especially those carrying loaded bags or childseats.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.