In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(for liquid, gas)depósito masculinetanque masculinefeminine cisternafermentation tanks — cubas de fermentación
- developing tank — cubeta de revelado
- The fuel tank and exhaust pipe routing were modified slightly to accommodate the new subframe.
- Its oil refinery and farms of storage tanks disburse petroleum products to much of South-East Asia.
- The car has been plagued by two recalls and at least six repair notices, ranging from faulty fuel tanks to seat belt flaws.
- After spinning out in Saturday's qualifying, he would have started in the back of the pack anyway, so his team gave his car a fresh engine and a full tank of fuel as soon as the race started.
- Only two tonnes of liquid chlorine spilt from a storage tank after an equipment failure, but it was enough to cause plenty of drama.
- The underground storage tanks for these chemicals (and you can be sure there were many in the Silicon Valley) sometimes leaked.
- A look at old race cars, with their exposed fuel tanks and absence of seatbelts, is a sobering reminder of just how vulnerable the drivers once were.
- There are eight raw storage tanks plus an outdoor silo for all liquid ingredients, with capacity totaling 54,000 gallons.
- In Atlanta, a retired attorney of impeccable reputation was arrested for trying to take photos of some storage tanks.
- In fact, the effective storage of most hydro tanks is about 18 percent of the total volume.
- New emission limits will be imposed on the company when recycled liquid fuel is used and purpose-built secure on-site storage tanks will be used to store the fuel.
- The rainwater falling on the rooftop, which acts as the catchment area, is directed to the storage tank with the help of specially made channels using PVC pipes.
- The toxic waste flooded footpaths, flowed through a forest and onto playing fields after the storage tank on the road overflowed.
- Storage tanks will also be built to treat stormwater.
- Then the airflow is diffused, only to be recompressed and diffused again as it moves along the underside of the car past the muffler and the fuel tank.
- He notes, for example that there are additional opportunities for plastic fuel tanks.
- Moreover, much of the water supply is deliberately contaminated by willful destruction of sewers, water pipes and storage tanks.
- Fuel tanks in the racing cars are located to the left of the driver so a two-seat conversion requires it to be moved to the rear of the car - no small job.
- Both plastic fuel tanks and plastic intake manifolds have experienced significant gains since 1995.
- This fitting design actually pressurizes the fuel tank and forces gasoline out of the fill pipe and it flows into the bilge.
- Probably the best system would have been to run them off natural gas and to have created storage tanks near the pumps in case the gas lines failed.
- The fuel tank still contained gasoline and the majority of rubber hoses and other rubber items were in such condition that they could be reused if wanted.
- As you can see from the figure below, the baffle extends to the top of the tank, and the liquid passes through holes below the water line.
- In the aftermath of a collision cars with full fuel tanks tend to go up in flames killing the occupants who might have survived the collision.
- With the boiler and storage tanks removed from the cinder block building, that seemed to be the best first place to look.
- Fuel tanks could be considered the container of the lifeblood of your Mazda.
- Self-sealing crashworthy fuel tanks have explosion suppression and non-return valves.
- I get a free car for a week, brand spanking new, with that gorgeous new-car smell and most probably a full tank of petrol, to drive wherever I want?
- This is why drivers are asked to turn off their automobile engines, and not smoke, when filling fuel tanks with gasoline.
- Sperm is traditionally stored in large liquid nitrogen tanks together with a protective chemical that must be removed before fertilisation.
- Currently, the plant has two cream storage tanks and three raw milk storage tanks.
- In rural areas, there are normally only a few service stations, so when travelling long distances, be sure to leave with a full tank of fuel.
- But remember, a full tank of fuel costs £77 and lasts just over 300 miles.
- If so, he will not be as quick with a fuller tank of fuel come the first race.
- The protest forced the field to halt production in order to prevent its 2,000-barrel storage tanks from overflowing.
- With a full tank of fuel, the weight bias shifts rearwards slightly, which helps traction, as does the standard limited slip differential.
- There are temperature controlled fermenters and storage tanks, and good new oak barrels for maturation.
- We understand that there is a gas leak and a possible shearing of an oil storage tank as well or a leak in a storage tank.
- The rear seat sat above the fuel tank, which was accessed via a filler door located low on the body side, just behind the driver's door.
- He had breached several conditions of his licence by failing to notify the Petroleum Licensing Authority of his intention to discontinue the use of petroleum spirit storage tanks.
- First, the front warhead destroys the reactive armour and then the rear warhead has free passage to penetrate the main body armour of the tank.
- That night the cabinet rounded up the strike leaders and flooded Glasgow with tanks and trainloads of troops to break the strike.
- The Marines have captured two bridges and moved hundreds of tanks, armoured vehicles, fuel trucks, Humvees and other military vehicles across them in the past few days.
- Following its use as a storage site for tanks during the war, the road has been kept usable by constant patching up.
- Both tanks contained full combat loads of high explosive rounds, as well as .50 caliber and 7.62 rounds.
- In short, tanks and troops alone will not win this struggle.
- Correspondingly, would Rommel have achieved even greater success with his tactical genius and an endless supply of tanks and fuel?
- There were tanks on both sides of the border and his regime imprisoned many Soviet sympathizers (real or just suspected).
- My tanks reached the northern side of the bridge leading to Saigon.
- They fought tanks, armored personnel carriers, jets and precision munitions with Datsun pickups.
- The helicopters, accompanied by tanks and heavy Bradley fighting vehicles, arrived later than many expected.
- The mission of the aircraft is ground attack against tanks, armoured vehicles and installations, and close air support of ground forces.
- Also for sale are evocative photographs of the Queen's Park works which was switched from making steam locomotives to producing tanks during the Second World War.
- Within a week, Hitler had occupied the Sudetenland, and six months later German tanks rolled into Prague.
- Sophisticated hardware including helicopters, tanks and armoured vehicles is often useless because it is an easy target for enemies.
- Among the advantages, few of the Army's tanks and armored fighting vehicles were lost to enemy action, and in most cases, their crews survived.
- In the late hours of 16 November tanks, armoured vehicles and elite army units started to move towards the city centre.
- There is no doubt we have the finest tanks and infantry fighting vehicles in the world.
- Other reports indicated that hundreds of people were being indiscriminately mowed down by tanks and armoured vehicles in various suburbs.
- It was used in Baghdad last year to attack side streets where tanks were thought to be hiding.
- And don't refrain from telling your friends: Among drunks, the real ones anyway, a night in the tank is a very large feather in the drinking cap.
- I got thrown in once when I was underage, not to eventful though...tried to get a cop to drive me home, he said sure and drove me straight to the tank.
- Get thrown in the tank and they let me out at 6am and give me back my shoe laces and bifocal sunglasses I don't even remember them and just kind of smiled when the girl was emptying the bag.
2Militarytanque masculinecarro de combate masculine
3USslang(jail)cárcel femininecana feminine South America slangchirona feminine Spain informaltanque masculine Mexico informaltambo masculine Mexico informalguandoca feminine Colombia informal
1USinformal(stock market) venirse abajo(movie/show) fracasar estrepitosamente
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.