- Many rare but technologically important elements, such as tantalum and uranium, continue to be mined from poor regions of the world under conditions that some consider pernicious and hazardous.
- A second element, tantalum, is always present in these minerals along with niobium.
- The initial spark was a press release from the Tantalum-Niobium International Study Centre calling for a boycott of tantalum mined illegally in world heritage sites in the Congo.
- With the cell phone industry booming, the park's resources and wildlife are under massive strain from miners seeking colombo-tantalite, also known as coltan or tantalum.
- Magnesium, titanium, zirconium, niobium, tantalum, molybdenum and tungsten may be soldered if they are plated with a solderable metal coating such as silver.