In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- She does so by asking him to help her rehearse the dance - the tarantella - that she must perform the following evening.
- The score has also been slightly rearranged - the ballet opens with a tableau set to Renaissance lute music, while the third-act tarantella is moved into the first act.
- Finland has no distinctive folk dance - no highland fling, morris dance or tarantella.
- Perhaps the most commonly recognized folk dance, the tarantella, for example, is Neapolitan, with little diffusion elsewhere in the peninsula.
- The American artist celebrated his eighty-first birthday at Villa Narcissus, his home on the island of Capri, by dancing the tarantella.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.