In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(thing aimed at)blanco masculineobjetivo masculineMilitary objetivo masculineSport feminine dianathe shot was right on/way off target — el tiro dio de lleno en el blanco/se desvió mucho
- the town was / made / presented an easy target — la ciudad resultaba un blanco fácil
- to attack enemy targets — atacar objetivos enemigos
- a moving target — un blanco móvil
- dead on target! — ¡diana!
1.2(of criticism, protest)blanco masculinehis criticisms were right on/way off target — sus críticas dieron en el blanco/iban totalmente desencaminadas
- target for/of sth — blanco de algo
- the target of the attacks of the opposition — el blanco de los ataques de la oposición
2(objective, goal)objetivo masculine(date/figure) fijadoMilitary (marker/area/zone) objetivoMarketing (group/market/audience) objetivowe achieved / met our target — conseguimos nuestro objetivo
- to set oneself a target — fijarse un objetivo / una meta
- she's set herself an impossible target — se ha propuesto algo imposible
- to reach one's target — alcanzar / lograr su (or mi etc.) objetivo
- above/below target — por encima/debajo del objetivo previsto
- export/production target — objetivos de exportación/producción
- to be on target — ir de acuerdo a lo previsto (or al plan de trabajo etc.)
- they're on target for their best season ever — llevan camino de lograr su mejor temporada
- (in takeover) target company — empresa blanco de una opa
- target population — público objetivo
- target price — precio objetivo
1(select as target)we should target these areas of research — deberíamos centrarnos en estas áreas de investigación
- the company is targeting the small investor — la empresa está intentando captar al pequeño inversor
- ten mines have been targeted for closure — existen planes de cerrar diez minas
2(direct, aim)dirigirpublicity targeted at the housewife — publicidad dirigida al ama de casa
- to target benefits at those most in need — concentrar la ayuda en los más necesitados
- Indeed, when he started his pursuit of him, Soviet missiles were still targeted on Western Europe.
- In direct to consumer advertising, drug companies target advertisements for prescription drugs directly at the public.
- PH domains regulate protein targeting to membranes and thereby serve as membrane adapters.
- A better way to make money may be to target advertising at those users.
- She believed that a return to the year 2000 budget level, with the money being targeted at those who had lost out in the changeover from a headage to an area based payment scheme, would go a long way to redressing the anomalies which had occurred.
- Packages targeted at business users will also be available in three different bands.
- After being targeted to the thylakoid membrane, the D1 protein elongation and membrane insertion occur concomitantly.
- The distribution is initially targeted at desktop users although Addis says server components are included along with the release.
- Work related to drug deaths in Scotland has been targeted at users who inject.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.