In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(cloth)tela escocesa femininetela de cuadros escoceses femininetartán masculine(scarf/skirt) escocés(scarf/skirt) de tela escocesa
- If designing a new tartan will save the Scottish Socialist party from dying out completely, I'm willing to have a go.
- The hills were awash with frost and snow and yet nobody dared wear anything but the clan tartan.
- Each of Scotland's clans has its own tartan, developed over the centuries.
- The company designs and produces a huge range of tartans - one of which was recently modelled by Ewan McGregor.
- He was wearing a tartan patterned lumberjack shirt and jeans.
- Clans, tartans, and Highlands, with the help of the Queen herself, had become utterly British and quite fashionable.
- In his own defence, he discloses that, though he is a Londoner to his pearly suit, he is nevertheless one-eighth Scottish on his mother's side, which doesn't even qualify him for a clan tartan.
- The band has worked hard raising funds for the tartan which cost around £1,000 to design and £300 to kit out each band member.
- Instead of the typical clan tartans, the Orkney ferry is decorated with posters of dragon-bowed great boats and warriors in horned helmets shoving flaming coffins out into the waves.
- Her version of the plaid, a tartan also in silk, is hung over the shoulder and pinned in place with a brooch.
- Symbols that evoke the past of the Highlands include the system of clan tartans and bagpipes.
- As tartans became fashionable, their colours were determined by the dyes from clan plants - broom and gorse, symbols of the Sinclairs, Sutherlands and Maclennans, provided yellows.
- We had our tartans woven at a mill that makes only tartans.
- The company directors of Beartas designed a new tartan, woven in Harris Tweed and called the ‘Isle of Harris Tartan’.
- This involves designing and manufacturing tartans for firms including ScottishPower, IF and Barbour.
- The revival of the house of Burberry is having an impact too as checks and colourful tartans abound on trousers and skirts.
- And yet they made those wonderful clothes for other people - tweeds, cords, mohairs, checks, tartans.
- The whole point of a tartan is to get many colours working together, weaving themselves into a beautiful pattern.
- The dominant symbols of Scottish nationalism - the war-pipes, the military tartans, the Glengarry and so on - are a product of that.
- Instead, tartans probably were regionally based with different patterns belonging to different areas of the country.
2(pattern)tartán masculinethe Cameron tartan — el tartán del clan de los Cameron
3(garment)falda escocesa feminine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.