In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1tarea feminineI had the unpleasant task of breaking the news to him — me tocó la desagradable tarea de darle la noticia
- a body whose task it is to … — un organismo que tiene como cometido / cuyo cometido es …
- I had to persuade her, no easy task — tuve que convencerla, lo cual no fue nada fácil
- to give / set sb a task — asignarle una tarea a algn
1to task sb to do sth/with doing sth — asignarle / encomendarle a algn la tarea de hacer algo
- Hammond was tasked with moving in to make necessary changes.
- The United Nations Commission on the Status of Women was tasked with providing advice to States on the implementation of the Platform for Action.
- We're tasked with ensuring areas are swept free of any possible explosive devices left by a would-be assassin.
- Several staff members were tasked with lightly re-editing stories and headlines each day for the new format.
- Occasionally, I was tasked with cleaning the room and re-inventorying the canned goods.
- Every local authority in London has been tasked with increasing recycling and Lewisham was targeted to reach 10 per cent.
- Now the group, which is tasked with monitoring stop and search use in Lewisham, is planning an educational video so young people are fully aware of their rights.
- They were armed with air-to-air missiles only, and were tasked with destroying airborne threats.
- They have been tasked with adjudicating on individual claims.
- The 40-year-old was principally tasked with organising the Prince's social diary and entertaining.
- The audit agency is tasked with examining the implementation of the state budget and the financial reports of state institutions.
- The talented team of lighting, stage and sound technicians are tasked with bringing to life the first ever performances in the Orangery.
- And still other from the Texas National Guard are tasked with purifying drinking water.
- There's a special division of career Justice Department officials who are tasked with doing this kind of work.
- Each student group was tasked with carrying out a market research project and produced a marketing plan for their assigned client company.
- She was tasked with translating documents and recordings from FBI wire taps.
- A planned conference committee hearing has been tasked with resolving these conflicting numbers.
- Children will be tasked with picturing their group activities or special events over the next two months in time for the June 30 deadline.
- While Porter heads for the mainland to get the boat repaired, Sandy is tasked with a load of chores.
- The committee was tasked with deliberating the content of the bill, while the special team has dealt mainly with the bill's wording.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.