In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
(in UK, in US)masculine impuestomasculine tributo formalimpuestoshow much tax do you pay — ¿cuánto paga de impuestos?
- free of tax — libre de impuestos
- to pay one's taxes — pagar los impuestos
- I paid $1,500 in tax(es) — pagué 1.500 dólares de / en impuestos
- to put / place a tax on sth — gravar algo con un impuesto
- federal/state taxes — impuestos federales/estatales / del estado
- tax on goods/services — impuesto sobre mercancías/servicios
- tax deducted at source — retenciones fiscales
- it can be offset against tax(es) — es desgravable
- before/after taxes /tax
- I earn £17,000 before/after tax(es) — gano 17.000 libras sin descontar/descontados los impuestos
- profits before/after tax(es) — beneficios antes/después de impuestos
- the first £2,000 is free of tax — las primeras 2.000 libras son / están libres de impuestos
- $20 including tax — 20 dólares impuestos incluidos
- before noun tax abatement / relief — desgravación (fiscal)
- tax base — base imponible / impositiva
- tax burden — carga tributaria / fiscal
- I get tax credits for my mortgage — me desgravan el interés sobre la hipoteca
- tax demand — solicitud de pago de impuestos
- tax form — formulario de declaración de renta
- tax incentive — incentivo fiscal
- tax law — (discipline) derecho tributario
- tax loophole — laguna fiscal
- for tax purposes — a efectos fiscales / impositivos
- tax rebate / refund — devolución de impuestos
- tax revenue — recaudación fiscal / tributaria
- the tax system — el sistema / el régimen tributario / fiscal
- the tax year — el año / ejercicio fiscal
- A carbon tax is a tax on the use of energy.
- More than two-thirds of those surveyed said higher-income workers should pay tax on all their wages.
- The empirical results indicate that a tax cut produces revenue and incentives to save.
- Under the current method rates are increasingly becoming a wealth tax or a tax on assets held in the form of land.
- Clearly, lower taxes reinforced the spending splurge that generated the explosion in indirect tax receipts allowing taxes to be cut further.
- Doing so will decrease their total tax bill on personal income when compared to reasonable salary levels.
- Corporations often negotiate down their tax liability in disputed transactions.
- In short, the income tax was not initially a tax on wages, nor on the working class.
- Both opposed income taxes, excise taxes, and taxes on wealth in general.
- There is nothing in the Constitution to prevent the States collecting their own income taxes (or taxes on services).
- Thus a tax on rent may represent a violation of justice while a tax on other incomes does not.
- The general property tax was thus a tax on rent of land and the interest from its associated capital.
- Second, lower prices for gasoline and other fuels are acting like a giant tax cut for both consumers and businesses.
- So you will not have to pay tax on the expenses that are reimbursed to you, and the company will be able to allow the costs against its tax.
- It would have replaced the corporate income tax with a tax on the net return to capital for all businesses.
- The administration established tariffs, which amounts to a tax on all consumers of steel.
- All local governments in Kenya have taxing authority, including the right to levy a tax on property.
- Reliable means exist to project the potential revenue of existing taxes in this business cycle.
- The revenue from a tax on oil companies would then be passed directly to the motorist through cuts in fuel duty.
- Increase the progressivity of the federal income tax, and finance Medicare through increased sin taxes, gas taxes, and general revenue.
- The only tax on the reader's mind is to remember as many facts as possible.
2(strain)carga feminineit was a tax on my resources — me puso a prueba
- it proved too great a tax on his health — su salud no lo resistió
1(company/earnings/goods) gravarwe're being taxed too highly — nos están cobrando demasiado en impuestos
- my income is taxed at source — mis ingresos ya vienen con los impuestos descontados
2(strain)(health/resources/strength) poner a prueba
3formal(charge)to tax sb with sth — acusar a algn de algo
- she became evasive when taxed with the matter — contestó con evasivas cuando se le planteó directamente el asunto
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.