In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Those who spend long periods working abroad should also take advantage of a special tax allowance for overseas income.
- It is little wonder the Conservatives have proposed, among alternative pension reforms, a catch-all rise in the tax allowance given to elderly people.
- The personal tax allowance which determines the income tax-paying threshold thus also provides a practical definition of such an official poverty line.
- Meanwhile, the government has been attempting to appease the protestors by extending its proposed tax allowance on fuel and is also preparing to help pensioners with their heating oil bills.
- There is no point getting a large tax allowance if you do not have the income to use it.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.