In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1paño de cocina masculinerepasador masculine River Plate
- He has railed against the presence in the kitchen of the tea towel which, he says, can be a massive source of contamination.
- The boy's grandmother stands in the doorway holding a tea towel, twisting it in the way she wrings out the wet laundry before she carries it outside to the line.
- A damp tea towel had made a moist patch on the shoulder of my tee-shirt.
- Fold in the raisins, apples and lemon juice. Then cover the mix with a damp tea towel (to stop it drying out) and leave it to stand and rise in a warm place for at least 45 minutes.
- In the interval a couple had brought sandwiches wrapped up in a tea towel that they ate while sitting on a bench on the balcony outside.
- Drain the parsley, wrap in a clean tea towel and gently squeeze dry.
- Lay 3 sheets of filo pastry flat on a tea towel, brushing between each sheet with melted butter.
- Place both ovals on a greased or parchment-lined baking sheet, cover with a damp tea towel, and leave to prove for about an hour, or until doubled in size.
- Always cover sitting dough with clingfilm or a damp tea towel to prevent it drying out.
- I threw her a yellow tea towel and she began to wipe the streaked mascara from her face.
- Remove to a wire rack and cover loosely with a tea towel while you continue making the rest of the pancakes.
- Holding the oyster flat-side up in the tea towel, insert the knife into the side of the shell, along the waves of the shell (where the top meets the bottom).
- Bathed in yellow light hovering over the gloom of the garden she looked in at a woman repeatedly working a tea towel around the inside of a mug.
- Divide the dough into two balls, cover with a tea towel and leave to rest for five minutes.
- Cover with a clean tea towel and rest for 10 minutes before carving, so the lamb can reabsorb some of the juices lost - this will make it more tender.
- He wiped his hands down on a tea towel lying on the table, and tried again.
- Prepare the pasta dough and leave to rest covered with a damp tea towel for 30 minutes.
- Students will need to supply their own ingredients and containers as well as a tea towel and apron.
- ‘Successful shopping trip I see’ she commented, drying her hands on a tea towel as she stood beside them.
- Drop into a bowl of ice-cold water with the juice of ½ lemon and leave for 10 minutes, then drain and pat dry with a tea towel.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.