In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1gas lacrimógeno masculinebefore noun tear gas bomb — bomba lacrimógena feminine
- tear gas canister — bote de gas lacrimógeno
- tear gas grenade — granada lacrimógena
- He told the court he had ordered the use of tear gas and rubber bullets to quell rioting prisoners but not firearms.
- Police responded with water-cannon trucks, tear gas and four-inch plastic bullets.
- There were stones and rubber bullets and tear gas canisters and a trampled doll in the street.
- Both demonstrations ended with riot police spraying tear gas on the crowd.
- Eggs were thrown at the British consulate in Venice and police fired tear gas to disperse demonstrators.
- As protestors began to march, riot police used tear gas and water cannons to contain the students on campus.
- Police threw tear gas canisters into the crowd, injuring some of the workers.
- Riot police were finally mobilised and dispersed the protesters using tear gas.
- A special vehicle has been developed, armed with a machine gun and multiple tear gas launchers.
- Police officers fired tear gas and rubber bullets into the crowd, and used water canons to break up the protest.
- I treated so many injuries from people hit by tear gas canisters and also those hit by rubber or plastic bullets.
- Police resorted to a lathicharge and fired 15 rounds of tear gas shells to disperse the mob.
- Indonesian police fired warning shots, tear gas and water cannon to try and disperse the crowd.
- Street battles developed with police using water cannon and tear gas against the demonstrators.
- Police wielded batons and lobbed tear gas shells to disperse crowds and take control of the streets.
- The security forces countered with tear gas and water cannons to try to disperse the crowd.
- Police and military forces tried to disperse the crowd with gunshots, water cannons and tear gas.
- At least five people suffered minor injuries in the unrest as riot police fired tear gas into the crowd.
- Water cannons, tear gas and rubber bullets were used against peaceful protesters.
- They used tear gas and water cannons in an attempt to disperse the protesters.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.