In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In Kavango culture only males are responsible for milking cows although young children, both boys and girls, customarily suck milk directly from the cow's teats.
- To minimize inhalation of pigmented powder by the animals, only a small amount of powder was applied to the area immediately surrounding the teats of lactating females.
- He emerges from his hole and, stopping only to milk the distended teats of his goats, he returns to examine the print more carefully.
- Milk out cows for the first three to six days after calving, making sure the udder and teats are clean
- Immediately after birth, the joey crawls from the birth canal into the mother's pouch where it attaches to one of four teats.
- Light birth BW pigs tend to nurse the posterior teats, which produce less milk than the anterior teats, which are nursed by heavier pigs.
- If a mare is more than 330 days pregnant and has developed a prominent udder with waxing of the teats, she's probably going to foal within 48 to 72 hours.
- It is best that calves suckle from all 4 teats, but make sure at least 2 teats are suckled.
- The backwardly opening pouch of the female encloses two teats.
- The females have no teats and the young feed through numerous tiny openings in the skin of the mother's belly.
- We don't use iodine on their teats after milking anymore.
- The width at the bottom will let the sow be comfortable when lying down and the piglets will be able to reach the teats.
- The procedure may be necessary on some farms to prevent facial injuries to nursing pigs and injuries to sow teats and/or udders; thus, this procedure could be justified on an animal welfare basis.
- Because marsupial young are born at an early stage of development and then spend a long period attached to a teat (often in a pouch), data on offspring sex ratios are easy to collect.
- Many dasyurids lack a pouch; in these species, the teats are arranged on a circular patch of skin on the abdomen.
- A healthy udder is soft and pliable, and has two well-developed teats.
- Infection is through the oral route when sucking from teats contaminated either by faeces in ewes harbouring the bacteria in their intestinal tract, or by infected soil.
- Their marsupium is well developed, opens to the rear, and contains only 2 teats.
- It can cause blisters and sores in the mouth, and on the tongue, muzzle, teats or hooves of horses, cattle, swine, sheep, goats, llamas and a number of other animals.
- The disease causes fever and large blisters in the mouth, on the teats and between the hooves, making it difficult for the animal to eat, drink and walk.
2British(of feeding bottle)→ nipple
- Many ignored his advice and went back to feeding their newborns crushed wine biscuits mashed with water in a bottle with a large-holed teat.
- There are special teats and bottles available which help the baby to get milk to the back of the throat to swallow more easily.
- Breastfeeding is also more convenient than bottlefeeding - there's no need to worry about cleaning bottles and teats, or storing formula.
- Check that the hole in the teat of the baby's feeding bottle is not too small, resulting in his gulping air.
- Babies with these problems may need a special teat and bottle that allow milk to be delivered to the back of the throat where it can be swallowed.
- My youngest memory is sitting up in my pram and cutting the top off my bottle teat with a pair of scissors, I can even describe the room and where I was parked
- If you're bottle-feeding, check that the teat is the right size.
- We determined the effect of artificial teats (bottle and dummy) and cups on breast feeding in preterm infants.
- Place the bottles and teats in the steriliser, put the lid on, and switch on the microwave/steam steriliser for the recommended time.
- If the calf is too weak to suckle directly, take milk from the cow and feed it using a clean bottle and teat, or by stomach tube.
- When you bottlefeed, hold your baby close and tip the bottle up so the teat fills with milk, and not air.
- To try it at home, you'll need three pairs of supersize flesh-coloured tights, the rubber teats of two baby bottles and the corner of an old doormat.
- The best way was to try and encourage the weakly lamb to suck direct from the goat; if they couldn't manage this, then they would draw some warm milk off into a bottle, put on a rubber teat and feed the lamb that way.
- Babies who are bottle-fed may swallow air from the bottle: try feeding the baby in a different position, or using a bottle and teat designed to reduce the amount of air the baby swallows during a feed.
- Even with modern plastic bottles and synthetic teats failure of hygienic cleaning and contaminated water supplies can prove lethal.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.