In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Technopoly, in other words, is totalitarian technocracy.
- For Chaplin, technocracy (especially corporate capitalism) must be fought, and nostalgia and sentiment must triumph.
- The end of the 1960s saw a rejection of technocracy, for many valid reasons.
- Some elements of the satirical model are more easily visible than the others: the critique of technocracy, and of socially irresponsible behavior, for example.
- Politics has adopted the language of technocracy and presents itself as a matter of effective management.
- Admittedly, this optimism was tempered by his faith in democracy, and his hints about the growing threat of technocracy to democracy.
- The cinema we need, the cinema that combats technocracy will, therefore, be non-narrative.
- The main parties all offer slightly different versions of turned-on technocracy.
- But technocracy is intellectually dead and politically exhausted.
- Paraphrasing Marcuse, technocracy views everything that is not backed up by facts, as an ideological matter.
- As politics retreats from grand ideology to technocracy, it has become increasingly important for politicians to emphasise their distinctive values.
- For many in the counterculture of the early 1960s, computers had represented the epitome of all that was wrong with technology in the service of technocracy.
- Instrumentality, rationality and technocracy supplant the heroic, stripping away place, history, bodies, time.
- In fact, the authors claim the version of technocracy generated by the act may inadvertently serve the needs of democracy.
- With the decline of the critical intellectual, the thinker gives way to the expert, politics yields to technocracy, and culture and education lapse into forms of social therapy.
- They stand against ‘industrial society in all its forms; against neoliberalism and technocracy, and against corporate crooks and their allies in government’.
- He argues that ‘deep democratization promises an alternative to technocracy.’
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.