In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- This area is a good example of the interplay of tectonic and magmatic processes.
- Even in fairly recent history the theory of tectonic plates beneath the earth's crust was discounted and scorned before it could eventually be proven.
- In these zones one section of the Earth's crust, called a tectonic plate, moves over or under another.
- Geologists have long studied mountains for clues to Earth's tectonic history.
- In this paper, we discuss the tectonic settings and magmatic processes which allow these magmas to reach the surface.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.