In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1autocue masculineteleprompter masculine
- There's everything here you'd expect to find in a modern television station, cameras, teleprompters, computers.
- Stepping away from the podium and speaking without the aid of the teleprompter, he said: ‘My grandmother was one of those killed in the concentration camps.’
- He's not very comfortable with a teleprompter in front of him and isn't particularly good at news conferences.
- And told me that the lyrics would be on the teleprompter.
- Both should be able to read smoothly from teleprompters.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.