In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
nounPlural tempos, Plural tempi
1ritmo masculineMusic tempo masculine
- Clapping her hands she set the tempo for the music.
- Listening to music with a slow tempo helps calm the mind.
- He worked with the pianist to get the tempi of the music precisely right.
- I tend to like dramatic music with contrasts in tempo and instrumentation.
- The fast tempo music was replaced by a soft ballad.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.