In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1sombrero de cowboy masculinesombrero de vaquero masculine
- Choose your ten-gallon hat - white or black - and prepare to have a great time.
- As customers stepped up to the long bar, cow punchers wearing ten-gallon hats served them drinks.
- They identified his ten-gallon hat with the macho mystique of the Wild West.
- The sheriff wore an oversized ten-gallon hat.
- We make fun of their ten-gallon hats.
- All you need is a six-shooter and a ten-gallon hat.
- The boy beside him wore a black ten-gallon hat with snakeskin boots.
- We say goodbye to the cowboy in the ten-gallon hat and leave.
- Putting on boots and a ten-gallon hat can make you into a cowboy.
- He often turned up for work in a ten-gallon hat.
- He ignored the sweat pouring from beneath the brim of his freshly purchased ten-gallon hat.
- You'll see people in blue jeans and cowboy boots wearing ten-gallon hats.
- One of them had a big ten-gallon hat, such as those seen in western movies.
- The cover showed him in a white ten-gallon hat.
- Get on your ten-gallon hat and your cowboy boots for a night of good ol' honky-tonk.
- Cowboy-themed shops lure you inside with western art, animal photographs and tasteful ten-gallon hats.
- His dusty shirt was offset by a dull leather vest, and a broad, ten-gallon hat sat atop his bushy hair.
- He is given to bright red neckties and ten-gallon hats.
- He regularly boasts about his wealth and extravagant lifestyle, symbolized by his ten-gallon hat and limousine.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.