In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Carp, tench and bream have really started to move in the last couple of days.
- Although we caught a few small carp, we mainly caught rudd and the odd tench.
- We had between us 7 carp, a 3lb tench and two roach.
- This lake is mainly carp, with rudd, roach, eels and tench as back-up fish.
- I have to admit that at the moment nothing excites me more than fishing for big tench.
- Carp, tench and bream have really come to life.
- To cut a long story short, I could not get near the tench because of the bream.
- Carp, bream and tench all figure in pleasure catches throughout the summer.
- Across the way on Acorn Lakes, carp, skimmers, tench and crucians can be found.
- Anglers were doing well for mixed bags of tench, carp, bream and a few roach.
- A feeder angler was taking some nice tench and crucians on corn.
- Getting up at the crack of dawn wasn't much fun, but the tench fishing certainly was!
- There are a few koi, golden orfe and golden tench swimming about.
- All species feed well in the spring but the two that really start feeding are carp and tench.
- Over the years roach and tench have found their way in.
- The third lake is the smallest and is mainly stocked with crucian carp and tench.
- Experts will try to net all the native carp, bream and tench in the lake and take them to a fish farm.
- The club has a lake stocked with fish such as perch, roach, tench, rudd, carp and pike.
- I had fished this for carp, and caught quite a few tench on boiled baits and carp rigs.
- I particularly enjoyed our day on Miltons Lake where we each had over 1001b of crucians and tench.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.