In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The channel is dispensing a view of the world that is tendentious and intellectually idle.
- Some of his examples are tendentious but he is broadly right.
- They make some good points, some misleading points, and a few rather tendentious points.
- His realism could involve a fair amount of tendentious editing, glib generalisation and manipulation of the evidence.
- The author's choice of this phrase was clearly tendentious.
- Government advertising campaigns should be objective and explanatory, not tendentious or party political.
- The statistics quoted are highly selective and tendentious.
- This is a tendentious, romanticised version of the history.
- This intensive and tendentious coverage made it obvious that some satellite channels were pursuing agendas of their own.
- Some of his criticisms do seem a mite tendentious.
- The scriptwriter must fashion this already tendentious material into watchable drama.
- Some liberal arguments about the significance of this case seem tendentious and overblown.
- This is just sloppy tendentious journalism.
- His use of evidence was tendentious and manipulative.
- This argument mixes so many distortions, falsehoods and tendentious points that it's not easy to know where to start.
- It is an effort not to understand but to use history to advance a tendentious agenda.
- The book is tendentious and unconvincing but well-written.
- The investigation was prejudiced and tendentious.
- It is a highly tendentious, obviously partisan and unreliable document.
- The version is not itself a lie, but it is a relentlessly tendentious interpretation.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.