In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1US slang($10)billete de diez dólares masculinediez dólares masculinediez verdes masculine South America informal
- It's amazing how little fun you can have for a tenner these days.
- The trader dishes the CDs out as fivers and tenners change hands.
- The cash machine started to deliver £20 notes instead of the tenners people were expecting.
- These wines will cost around a tenner a bottle.
- If you chase someone to repay the tenner you lent them, you look mean-spirited and churlish.
- I got one donation of £50, and lots of people gave tenners - I've been given over £150 so far.
- The next time I saw him he was counting out a huge roll of tenners on the front seat of his van.
- The rug was a fake and cost me a tenner down Greenwich market.
- I thrust a tenner at a passing waiter to pay for the drinks.
- At the end of the day I found that I had accepted two forged tenners.
- He pulls a roll of notes from his back pocket and peels off a tenner.
- They'll never remember to pay you and even if they do, they'll mix up tenners and fivers.
- He pulled his dad's old wallet from his pocket and took out our ten crisp tenners.
- One hundred crisp tenners would come in very handy.
- Most of us have some experience of winning the odd tenner on the lottery.
- He stuffed one hand in his pocket and pulled out a bunch of tenners.
- A decent meal for around a tenner still stands as good value in my book.
- I found a tenner on the floor in the pub.
- Last year it was £15 but it's just a tenner this year.
- People are collecting anything from a few tenners to hundreds of pounds.
2British informal(£10)billete de diez libras masculinediez libras feminine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.