In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- This clever housing arrangement is also guarded by soldier termites that protect the mound from invading ants.
- Many of the structures associated with feeding are modified for feeding on ants and termites underground.
- Dwarf mongooses mainly feed on insects like termites, locusts, beetles, grubs, larvae and spiders.
- But when it comes to creating a permanent home for the colony, termites are the champion.
- Osbrink collected termites from four different colonies and placed them in glass tubes.
- Technicians use fiber optics to pinpoint exactly where the termites are living within the wood.
- Although a native termite colony might occasionally infest a tree, it's almost invariably a dead one, Messenger says.
- This is applicable especially, but not exclusively, to so-called social insects such as bees, wasps, ants and termites.
- Some termites feed on the wood timber of houses, posing a danger as a roof or ceiling can collapse from the impact of their feeding.
- Somewhere in a rainforest, inside a rotting log, lives a colony of termites.
- However she found only a few trees infested with living colonies of the termite.
- This treatment helps wood resist attacks by termites and decay-causing fungi.
- He also wanted to clarify the allowances for using pesticides to save homes from such pests such as carpenter ants and termites.
- In South America, anteaters evolved long sticky tongues that enable them to feed on ants and termites.
- This encourages other bacteria to take hold, then termites discover the soft wood, further adding to the damage.
- I found a colony of small white termites eating up the underside of a board.
- An adult anteater can eat as many as 30,000 ants or termites in a single day
- The African termite lives in tall mounds so strong that humans use dynamite to remove them when they are in the way.
- On my way there I turned over a board and found a termite colony with a few big soldiers in with the rank and file.
- Too, they can mean that your home is attractive to wood boring insects like termites.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.