In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- This clever housing arrangement is also guarded by soldier termites that protect the mound from invading ants.
- Somewhere in a rainforest, inside a rotting log, lives a colony of termites.
- On my way there I turned over a board and found a termite colony with a few big soldiers in with the rank and file.
- But when it comes to creating a permanent home for the colony, termites are the champion.
- Osbrink collected termites from four different colonies and placed them in glass tubes.
- Too, they can mean that your home is attractive to wood boring insects like termites.
- I found a colony of small white termites eating up the underside of a board.
- This is applicable especially, but not exclusively, to so-called social insects such as bees, wasps, ants and termites.
- Many of the structures associated with feeding are modified for feeding on ants and termites underground.
- Technicians use fiber optics to pinpoint exactly where the termites are living within the wood.
- This treatment helps wood resist attacks by termites and decay-causing fungi.
- Although a native termite colony might occasionally infest a tree, it's almost invariably a dead one, Messenger says.
- He also wanted to clarify the allowances for using pesticides to save homes from such pests such as carpenter ants and termites.
- Dwarf mongooses mainly feed on insects like termites, locusts, beetles, grubs, larvae and spiders.
- This encourages other bacteria to take hold, then termites discover the soft wood, further adding to the damage.
- The African termite lives in tall mounds so strong that humans use dynamite to remove them when they are in the way.
- In South America, anteaters evolved long sticky tongues that enable them to feed on ants and termites.
- However she found only a few trees infested with living colonies of the termite.
- Some termites feed on the wood timber of houses, posing a danger as a roof or ceiling can collapse from the impact of their feeding.
- An adult anteater can eat as many as 30,000 ants or termites in a single day
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.