In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1informal(great)(size/crash/speed) tremendo(size/speed/crash) increíble(argument/bore) espantoso
- The intense flavor of dried mushrooms makes them a terrific seasoning ingredient.
- The law was passed in the wake of terrific scandals involving railroads and other corporate titans.
- With a terrific bang, he drives the hammer into some kind of post to send it further into the ground.
- She lasted 16 hours with terrific injuries and the staff were nothing but kind and considerate.
- Both performers are terrific and earn an enormous amount of audience goodwill.
- There was a terrific demand for the bins and we had to queue over an hour to get ours.
- It sounded like a terrific idea, but somehow got extremely muddled along the way.
- Tamoszius is a terrific fiddler, and able to make a nice amount of money playing at local parties.
- One day a golf course I built in Arkansas flooded, and there was a terrific amount of damage.
- This was a historic night and nobody at OUABC was hiding the fact that this event was a huge milestone of terrific importance.
- In the south of France a wonderful woman supervises another terrific restaurant, the Hostellerie Jerome in La Turbie.
- W. H. Hudson comments on the gauchos' terrific waste of meat, excess being fed to the dogs by the barrowload.
- She said the friends she and her husband Eugene have met have been terrific and the children absolutely wonderful.
- The culture shock was huge when I went first but the weather is terrific.
- Why is there this terrific increase in demand for pellets?
- Bacon demand from seaside towns is terrific, because Mr and Mrs John Bull will have bacon and eggs for breakfast when on holiday.
- I was surprised how well it went at Sandown and it was a terrific effort by the team, considering they had a huge repair job to do after the last round.
- There was a terrific, deafening crash, and a dazzling flash of intense red light.
- There was a tremendous atmosphere and it was a terrific surface to play on.
- I've had a tremendous time there and made some terrific friends on and off the pitch and it's sad to be leaving them behind.
- I would love to come back sometime because it's a terrific club full of lovely people.
- The same goes for De Niro, who plays his part with such terrific intensity.
- I was extremely sensitive to light and sound, I had terrific migraine headaches and my hormones seemed to have gone awry.
- In the final the large crowd was enthralled by a game of intense skill and terrific excitement.
- At midnight I could hear in my bed the terrific gusts and the sounds of a driving deluge.
- One of the major attractions of the day will be the hundreds of terrific children's books for sale at very reasonable prices.
- A York amateur astronomer also said his room was lit up as a huge object moved across the sky at terrific speed.
- As the lights go down strobe lighting and terrific claps of thunder herald the storm.
- An hour later we were caught in a terrific thunder storm - lightning, torrential rain, the works.
- He is an excellent tackler with terrific instincts and the speed to chase down plays.
- The movie is terrific and really almost perfectly captures the feeling of what it was like to sit in a theater and watch the show.
- It's a terrific work, and shows a huge architectural reach as well as great power.
- The last few months, we've had some terrific live appearances by some great musical artist.
- It's a huge game and it would be terrific to put two wins together in a row.
- It would be a building within a building, which is terrific for minimizing sound spillage.
- The Jaguar's sound system is terrific too, but it should be, this is a luxury car.
- The night was a terrific celebration of the past five years and many wonderful memories were revived.
- There has always been a terrific amount of keeping up with the Joneses.
- The Yacht pub in Clontarf was buzzing at midnight last night and strong drink was being consumed at a terrific rate.
- The jazz-flavored score sounds terrific and most of the dialogue can be heard.
2informal(very good)(party/cook/actor) estupendo(cook/actor/party) genial informal(party/cook/actor) de miedo informal(idea/news/car) estupendo(car/news/idea) bárbaro informal(car/idea/news) fantástico informalthe kids had a terrific time at the zoo — los niños lo pasaron pipa en el zoo Spain informal
- he's really terrific — es un tipo super majo
- (that's) terrific! — ¡chévere!
- (oh) terrific! — ¡(pues) qué bien!
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.