In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Scots emerged as some of the great imperial administrators, they explored the unknown, as soldiers they crushed native opposition and made territorial gains.
- Pell makes a series of spectacular leaps of logic in order to stake that territorial claim.
- The Republic of Fiji Military Forces was established to defend the nation's territorial sovereignty.
- We shall respect the independence, sovereignty and territorial integrity of all our neighbours.
- Those who held bookland were territorial lords with local interests, and were thus far more likely to seek terms with the Danish invaders, if by their timely submission they could save all or part of their inheritance.
- It's not that we have any designs on the land of our neighbours, although we have been reluctantly obliged to occupy some of their land as guarantees of territorial security.
- The territorial governor leased lands to farmers-general, who in turn leased smaller plots of an estate to tenants.
- Members of such groups sometimes even feed peacefully side by side on superabundant resources in areas of territorial overlap, as occurs in the baboons I studied.
- A territorial dispute, by its nature, is liable to arouse nationalistic sentiment.
- The Cheslatta people have drawn from these local interethnic alliances in two basic ways to pursue territorial rights.
- Ideas of territorial integrity and the ownership of territory are very strong.
- This means the city does not have the right to proceed with a tax sale of the buildings because they exist on land leased by the territorial government.
- Under the action plan, the two countries agreed to speed up negotiations aimed at concluding the peace treaty by resolving the territorial dispute.
- So that the concept of territorial limitations to the jurisdiction of justices is something that is found at least at that point in history.
- The notion of jurisdiction is essentially territorial.
- The law not only requires large-scale administrative and territorial changes, but also reduces local governments' independence.
- The Claimant and those like her are of course not within the territorial jurisdiction of the United Kingdom.
- It is not extraordinary for a court to adjudicate a tort claim arising outside of its territorial jurisdiction.
- Thomas Jefferson and James Madison believed that territorial expansion would sustain the egalitarian economic basis of republican political institutions.
- And city, state, and federal agencies often engage in protracted territorial battles over land rather than expediting development.
2Zoology(animal/bird) que tiene un sentido muy desarrollado de su territorio
- Males of many species of hummingbird are territorial and the territories, which are usually centered around a food source, are aggressively defended by their owners.
- In contrast, nesting males cannot move freely between nests because of the territorial behavior of other nesting males and the risk of losing their current nest.
- Some dogs are territorial and inadvertently ruin window blinds or woodwork trying to get to an intruding delivery person.
- For instance, chimps are very territorial and patrol borders in order to maintain large territorial areas for gathering fruit.
- We observed individual females throughout behavioral estrus and quantified mating order and territorial status for each of a female's consorts.
- In the present study we examined whether comb size was related to testosterone levels, to a suite of behavioral and territorial traits, and to copulation success.
- Breeding fighting fish are territorial, defending an area around a nest of mucus-coated bubbles floating on the water surface.
- There are a several brief sections on territorial and related behaviour in chimps, which imply considerations of liberty, but that is all.
- Triceratops likely used its horns to impress mates, shoo off rivals, or argue for territorial ownership.
- Adults are at their lowest weight in the spring as territorial behaviour by the boars and suckling by the sows will have reduced their stored fat to a minimum.
- It has been suggested that this decline in territorial aggression may be because large flight and tail feathers were growing at this time and would be easily damaged in a fight.
- Snapping shrimp are territorial, with male and female partners codefending a constructed burrow from intruders.
- Male territorial behavior is particularly important in the autumn, during territory establishment, and in early spring.
- Further, we have been advised that the wild dogs are very territorial and, if they find any animal in what they consider their territory, they will try to kill it.
- High levels of cortisol contribute to lower levels of testosterone and inhibition of dominant or territorial behaviors.
- They also may have been relatively quiet because there were no other cranes nearby to stimulate vocalizations and other territorial behavior.
- The role that these territorial interactions play in influencing the redistribution of animals that have been evicted from their native home ranges remains unclear.
- Although territorial behavior is not normally observed, males will exhibit this behavior during times when population size and food supplies are lower.
- Broadbills seem to be territorial during the breeding season and their display flights may serve as both breeding and territorial displays.
- For males, we noted all territorial and courtship behavior during censuses and used this information to determine the social status of a male.
- They exhibit strong territorial behaviour during the breeding season.
- If it really is territorial behaviour that is leading the birds to behave so oddly, then chances are they will soon stop being such a nuisance.
- Audience sex and territorial status influenced aggressive behavior in the interacting males, but a strong audience x nest interaction also was uncovered.
- Furthermore, one of the two females was observed singing late in the breeding season when territorial aggression and hence song should be decreasing.
- Fairly early into the same dive at Edy Point, the first of 5 grey reef sharks came up from the depths, curious but keeping a safe distance and displaying no aggressive territorial behaviour.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.