In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(person/answer) seco(answer/person) lacónicohe issued a terse statement — emitió un escueto comunicado
- to be terse with sb — ser seco con algn
- The submitted essays range in length from a few terse words to a screenful of close type.
- Naturally, the major agencies have all issued terse statements rejecting the allegations.
- His work is a collection of many short terse sentences which convey the barest minimum of teaching about yoga.
- The author favours short, spare sentences and a terse descriptive style.
- As far as I can tell, the Times has yet to expand on its original terse and unbylined story.
- The language in the book is terse and concise, almost laconic, and very much to the point.
- In a terse statement on the subject, Alcatel said the redundancies were part of its cost management initiatives.
- As the terse replies pile up, I am on the point of suggesting that he looks weary, as though his dog has died, only for it to emerge that his dog has died.
- I got a terse letter informing me he had raised the issues I had mentioned with the relevant parties and he could do no more for me.
- It is his kind, if rather terse and gruff manner that has turned his shop into an excellent meeting place for people and ideas.
- The board also issued a terse statement which was a big slap in the face for their second-largest individual shareholder.
- I duly and rapidly typed and laminated a terse notice and stuck it on the wall requesting the return of said item and then forgot about it.
- The pity and the terror of the situation is conveyed in terse crisp prose.
- A private school has sent a terse letter to parents instructing them how to behave properly at sports events.
- It was a typically terse rejoinder from a character who has never hidden his mystification for those who squander their natural talent.
- The terse, 10-word motion will be considered by members in a special hour-long debate this afternoon.
- The terse statement issued by both parties today didn't elaborate on the deal.
- It's not so much that he is a good writer: there are lots of people out there who can write with angry terse eloquence, even if not enough do.
- The material is clearly set out in short, terse points and this enables you to save time researching vast amounts of material.
- He will also be fondly remembered for terse and often humorous phrases, anecdotes and gems of wisdom.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.