In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Tex-Mexde Texas y México
- Later, treat yourself to dinner at Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant, another local favorite for its Tex-Mex menu and potent top-shelf margaritas.
- Los Lonely Boys are a hard-working, hard-rocking Tex-Mex trio with an incendiary take on barroom blues.
- Next stop, and a first for me, was to be San Antonio and a few days at that Texas city's big annual Fiesta, with mariachi music, the river walk, El Mercado, great Tex-Mex food - what more could anyone ask for?
- Madame had ordered a Queen size New York strip steak, medium rare, while I went for the Tex-Mex dish of blackened chicken fajita.
- Cafe Oren, in the same street, offers light vegetarian dishes in a stylish setting, and Los Cucarachas is a popular Tex-Mex restaurant which fills up most nights, so get there early.
- Oh, and the accordion of Los Lobos' David Hidalgo adds Tex-Mex spice to ‘Please Let Me Stay a Little Longer.’
- Take time to enjoy the sights, experience some Tex-Mex cooking, and explore the culture and heritage of the city.
- Somewhat akin to Tex-Mex tejano and banda styles, ranchera norteña sways with sweeping vocals, accordions, and the full gamut of synthesized sounds.
- Seems the ensemble members all write and sing as well, resulting in a gripping collection of rags, country ditties and Tex-Mex tearjerkers.
- San Antonio prides itself on being the birthplace of Tex-Mex cooking and there are plenty of places where you can enjoy it.
- I've always loved the Tex-Mex sound and knew a few musicians who had a similar passion so I asked them to join me.
- Hungry customers gorged on Tex-Mex food and washed it down with beer or margaritas.
- The tune was also adapted to regional music genres like the Tex-Mex flavor of Texas, salsa in New York, and the mana-style rhythms of California.
- Mexican Standoff wanders along the Tex-Mex musical border; Don't Ask, Don't Tell is a more straight-ahead roots rock break-up record and Got No Strings sets a bunch of Disney classics to a country and western groove.
- His solo albums, explorations of ‘world music’ long before such a term existed, have featured Hawaiian slack-key guitars, Tex-Mex accordions, and Indian flutes.
- Culinary folklorists now trace Tex-Mex cooking all the way back to the state's Native American peoples and to Juan de Onate's colonists who first brought European livestock to El Paso in 1581.
- Customers who've moved away pine for a Lila's Tex-Mex fix, confide the regulars, and rush to the restaurant the moment they return for a visit, tanking up on all the red and green salsa they can ingest.
- In Texas, the first thing to hit me was the iconography - of the cowboy, the Southwest, and the landscape, along with rich Tex-Mex culture represented by the Mariachi bands.
- Yeah, that will be good, I'll have an avocado topped off with whole sour cream and a family sized starter of Tex-Mex nachos please, with extra cheese and more guacamole.
- The regular menu includes pizza, salads, other sandwiches and Tex-Mex items such as quesadillas.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.