- By contrast, reduced activation in the mesencephalic brainstem and the thalamus was noted to be exclusively associated with mental relaxation.
- Peripheral injury results in anatomic and physiologic changes within the dorsal horn, sensory thalamus and cerebral cortex.
- The sleep cycle is controlled by a complex system of neurones (messenger cells) in the brain stem, thalamus, hypothalamus, and basal forebrain.
- However, after controlling for this overall increase in metabolism in the methamphetamine abusers, the investigators showed that metabolism was significantly reduced in two brain regions - the thalamus and striatum.
- They note that there is evidence to suggest that a circuit involving the thalamus and frontal lobes functions abnormally in autism.