In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1plural those(demonstrative)eseesaéseésaesoesosesasésosésasaquélaquéllaaquelloaquellosaquellasaquéllosaquéllaswhat's that? — ¿qué es eso?
- who's that? — quién es ese/esa?
- that's Mary's husband/daughter — ese es el marido/esa es la hija de Mary
- those are $20 and those over there $21.50 — esos cuestan 20 dólares y aquellos de allá 21,50
- that's why she never went back — por eso nunca volvió
- (on telephone) who's that, please? — ¿con quién hablo, por favor?
- that's impossible/wonderful! — ¡es imposible/maravilloso!
- that was last week — eso fue la semana pasada
- those who have been less fortunate — los que no han tenido tanta suerte
- those at the back cannot hear — los que están en el fondo no oyen
- is that so? — ¡no me digas!
- eat it up now, that's a good girl! — vamos, cómetelo todo ¡así me gusta!
- don't talk like that! — ¡no hables así!
- she told me that John had won the race — that he did — me dijo que John había ganado la carrera — así es(, la ganó John)
- Hello, is that the police?
- That's my best friend over there behind the counter.
- That's a hawk atop the big rock.
- That's a nice necklace.
- Who's that in the corner?
2(relative)quea voice that reminded him of somebody — una voz que le recordaba a alguien
- it's not money that's the problem — el problema aquí no es el dinero
- it was in Australia that I met Bob — fue en Australia que conocí a Bob
- fool that I was, I believed him — tonto que fui, le creí
- everywhere (that) I go — dondequiera que voy
- it wasn't Helen (that) you saw — no fue a Helen a quien viste
- is it today (that) they're arriving? — ¿es hoy cuando llegan?
- the reason (that) she resigned — el motivo por el que dimitió
- the way (that) he spoke — la forma en que habló
1eseesaesosesasaquelaquellaaquellosaquellasdo you know that boy/girl? — ¿conoces a ese chico/esa chica?
- those two records/keys are Pete's — esos dos discos/esas dos llaves son de Pete
- do you remember those two Americans we met? — ¿te acuerdas de aquellos dos americanos que conocimos?
- I prefer that one — prefiero ese/esa
- I like those yellow ones — me gustan esos amarillos
- in those days — en aquellos tiempos
- we interviewed only those candidates who … — solo entrevistamos a los / aquellos candidatos que …
- it's been one of those days — ha sido uno de esos días en que todo sale mal
1quethey decided (that) it was too expensive — decidieron que era demasiado caro
- she said (that) she understood — dijo que entendía
- that he should say so surprises me — me sorprende que lo diga
- the idea that the end justifies the means — la idea de que el fin justifica los medios
- the news that our team had won — la noticia de que nuestro equipo había ganado
- I'm glad (that) you're here — me alegro de que estés aquí
- doesn't it worry you that you haven't heard from him? — ¿no te preocupa (el) no haber tenido noticias suyas?
- let me know immediately (that) they arrive — avísame en cuanto lleguen
2.1(in order that)they died that others might live — murieron para que otros pudieran vivir
- be careful (that) you don't lose anything — ten cuidado de no perder nada
2.2(with the result that)queshe talks so fast that I can't understand — habla tan rápido que no le entiendo
- The result was that he had a home where he and his wife were happy and contented.
- It is for this reason that they despised death and even showed themselves superior to death.
- The result is that you pay too much tax in the months before your birthday and too little in the months after.
- It is for this reason that I support the introduction of a law to ban them from public sale and public use.
- That gallery is not the only reason that Southwark and the Borough are booming.
- The result is that the branched molecule is reduced to a form like a lopped tree.
- The result is that he resolves to return to his true calling: the writing of fiction.
- The result is that it takes longer to adjust to a shock and requires a stronger policy response.
- The result is that more rainfall records are broken at this time of year than at any other.
- So these are some of the reasons that Americans get a bad press elsewhere in the world.
- The result is that the two outer whorls are petals and the two inner ones are stamens.
- It's all over and above contract, but the result is that kids here tend to be a bit more respectful.
- It's for that reason that we decided to extend this opportunity to district farmers.
- The result is that anyone who hacks into the database does not see the grade of any individual student.
- Reports say the surge was so strong that parked cars were thrown around like toys.
- The result is that getting to the common functions and then being able to use them is quick and easy.
- The result is that the stone suffers from the adverse effects of weathering or decay.
3.1(expressing surprise)that he should do such a thing! — ¡mira que hacer una cosa así!
3.2literary (expressing a wish)¡ojalá!oh, that you were here! — ¡ojalá estuvieras aquí!
1tanten thirty? that late already? — ¿las diez y media? ¿ya es tan tarde?
- I'm not that interested, really — la verdad es que no me interesa tanto
- she can't be all that stupid — no es posible que sea tan tonta
- how much do you want? that much? — ¿cuánto quieres? ¿un tanto así?
- I was that tired I could hardly stay awake — estaba tan cansado que apenas podía mantenerme despierto
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.