In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(as direct object)loslas(referring to people) los(referring to people) les Spain(referring to people) laswhere did you buy them — ¿dónde los/las compraste?
- he has two sons, do you know them? — tiene dos hijos ¿les conoces?
- Some of them are difficult to read though as the sun has bleached them over the years.
- She left a note telling her parents and friends how much she loved them.
- It is not uncommon for the sibling of a child with autism to simply feel their parents do not love them as much.
- Many of us, if we are honest, will skip these lists, or at least read them very quickly!
- I made a trip to Edinburgh to visit a couple of friends to talk to them about my ideas.
- Many of them feel excluded from a number of opportunities that the rest of us take for granted.
- About half of them cannot read, so all teaching is verbal or from diagrams scratched in the sand.
- She was wise enough to realize that most of them were interested only in what they could get out of her.
- They have all grown up into nice people and I'm confident they love me as much as I love them.
- So put those dates in your diary or pass them on to friends or relatives who visit at that time.
- We feel strongly that a child does not have to be genetically ours for us to be able to love them.
- One ought to indulge them, because all in all I reckon they do a pretty good job.
- When you have a child, you have this unconditional love for them.
- At the same time teenagers do want boundaries of some sort and they do want us to love them.
- She had met many film stars of the era and regaled us with stories of her time with them.
- How many of you, as kids, read these insane stories and believed them to be true?
- Telling someone you love them is not enough; you have to act in such a way to back that up else it simply isn't true.
- Reading aloud to children at a young age can give them a lifelong love of literature.
- The smart way is to identify easier questions, and attempt as many of them as you can.
- Can you ever believe someone who stole from you and cheated you after you gave them your love?
- She admitted using the cards on 19 occasions saying she had been given them by a friend.
- When a child has gone out into the world without quite the right tools to deal with it, you love them even more.
- She sews a piece of coloured cotton on the tops of her socks so she can match them easily.
- The problem is that Lee actually likes some of these boys, and wants to remain friends with them.
- After the class she left with a girl friend and was on her way to a games lesson when the boy and one of his friends joined them.
- She has insisted she is never soft on her friends when interviewing them on television.
1.2(as indirect object)les(with direct object pronoun present) seI lent them some money — les presté dinero
- I lent it to them — se lo presté
- give them the book — dales el libro
- give it to them — dáselo
1.3(after preposition)ellosellasfor/with them — para/con ellos/ellas
- there were four of them — eran cuatro
- she's older than them — es mayor que ellos
2(emphatic use)ellosellasthat'll be them — deben de ser ellos
- it was them that suggested it — fueron ellos quienes lo sugirieron
3(indefinite person or persons)there's someone at the door, shall I show them in? — hay alguien en la puerta ¿lo hago pasar?
- if anyone calls, tell them that … — si llama alguien, dile que …
4US informal, dialect(for themselves)sethey ought to get them a car — deberían comprarse un coche
1esosesasone of them new-fangled machines — una de esas máquinas modernas
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.