In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The trouble is that these days there's no way to tell a real saint from a charlatan.
- Having lost one of our major clients last week there's not so much for me to do at work these days.
- The city is home to one and a half million people, and there's a palpable energy in the air.
- The good thing about low budget film-making is that there's not too much to lose here.
- It doesn't help that there's no one on the show that a viewer can remotely care about.
- One is that there's a whole body of diseases that we tend to call autoimmune diseases.
- So have a look at the links and see if you can tell me if there's any real difference between the two.
- I had forgotten just how long it takes to do so very little when there's a baby in the house.
- I could say it would be nice to see a woman in the top job but there's no guarantee she'd be ideal.
- I could be tired by the end of the year but then again there's no harm being tired at that stage.
- For those who live within easy reach of Glasgow, there's a perfect venue right on your doorstep.
- Held in March it's not a very big event and maybe that's why there's such a good feel to it.
- Now there's a new website you can go to when you want to find out what your neighbours have been up to.
- He had been a bit of a naughty boy on previous occasions, there's no doubt about that.
- I know that it is going to get bigger and there's nothing immediate that we can do to stop it.
- While that may be so there's no denying she knows how to make a good cup of coffee.
- Surely there's some sort of reality game show where I can win a prize to get this fixed?
- It took months for me to recover, and still today there's a twinge in my pelvis at times.
- Now, there's a word you don't read or hear too often when it comes to modern-day sport.
- My mom lets me know there's someone who is watching out for me, and that makes me happy.
- That must have been the one time there's been life down in that end of the town in God knows how long.
- It's no coincidence that there's never been an American populist who spoke well.
- There's been a mistake.
- In the first two days there's been some amount of damage done.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.