In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- More than 100 texts have been written on chemical thermodynamics but a concise summary of the laws is hard to find.
- He spends much of his book providing us with a brief history of energy and discussions about energy issues such as thermodynamics and electromagnetism.
- In particular, Hawking was gaining a renewed interest in a field called thermodynamics, developed by Lord Kelvin and others in the nineteenth century.
- Enquiries into the role of heat in these reactions led him to study chemical thermodynamics, and eventually to the famous Le Chatelier's principle.
- Beltrami also worked on optics, thermodynamics, elasticity, electricity and magnetism.
- But then we'd have to get into what quantum thermodynamics means, and well, that's a battle for another day!
- As we have noted Jeans worked on thermodynamics, heat and other aspects of radiation, publishing major works on these topics and on applications to astronomy.
- Statistical thermodynamics can map out the energy distribution of the water molecules.
- The results could also add a further twist to a field Einstein did not foresee - the thermodynamics of black holes.
- In physics, this is the law of thermodynamics: that heat will always flow from hot to cold.
- In thermodynamics one divides any heat loss or gain by the temperature, and one obtains then a quantity that is called the change in entropy.
- He taught thermodynamics and statistical mechanics in a very elegant fashion.
- Is the 3rd law of thermodynamics valid even for objects smaller than atoms?
- Most physicists probably learned about the laws of thermodynamics at high school, but few of us will have been told the whole story.
- By this time he had completely reversed his ideas about black holes and thermodynamics, the very ideas that had created such arguments a few years earlier.
- Only in the nineteenth century did the study of energy come of age, with the invention of the branch of physics known as thermodynamics.
- The topics Brillouin wrote on were the kinetic theory of gases, viscosity, thermodynamics, melting conditions and electricity.
- The field of thermodynamics is concerned with all types of energy changes in physical systems.
- He started working in thermodynamics - calculating aircraft engine performance.
- He now worked on thermodynamics, publishing three papers on applications to physical chemistry and thermoelectricity.
- In 1936, he was a visiting professor at Columbia University, where he taught a course on thermodynamics.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.