In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Formerly a medicine-cabinet staple, these mercury thermometers have lately been ruled a public health hazard.
- After checking the time, he took out the thermometer and studied the temperature.
- Digital thermometers and alcohol-filled glass models are just as accurate as mercury ones, and many hospitals are already making the switch.
- Glass thermometers are suitable for measuring temperature at the Earth's surface but would be impractical at higher levels.
- Narrow-range mercury thermometers were used to measure sand surface temperature.
- Air temperature was recorded every hour using a mercury thermometer.
- But, I do not know how high the thermometers and other sensors should be placed off the ground.
- There are generally three different types of thermometers; glass, digital, and tympanic.
- All you need is a mercury thermometer, which you keep by your bed.
- While walking, each participant also had a rectal thermometer in place to measure core temperature.
- In some locations, the sale of mercury thermometers is banned completely.
- She checked the temperature on the thermometer and wrote something down on the clip board.
- Ideally you should use a meat thermometer to monitor the temperature as you cook.
- Joule also invented extremely precise thermometers, which could measure temperature changes to within fractions of a degree Fahrenheit.
- It can take anywhere from four to eight hours to smoke meat or poultry, so it's imperative to use thermometers to monitor temperatures.
- Take the person's temperature with a thermometer that has been shaken to its lowest point.
- Some states have banned the use of mercury thermometers as a first step toward phasing out the use of this toxic metal altogether.
- Another option is a digital aural thermometer that measures the temperature in the ear.
- Show your child how to use a simple thermometer to take the temperature of the water.
- When a mercury thermometer breaks, it is difficult and very expensive to clean up properly.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.