- Whole grains are also important sources of vitamins and minerals, such as thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, folate, selenium, zinc and iron.
- Chronic alcoholism can result in deficiencies of thiamin, which can seriously impair mental abilities.
- Traditionally used as a medicine in different parts of the world, ginger contains minerals such as iron, calcium and phosphorous and vitamins like thiamine, riboflavin and vitamin C.
- For example, use whole-wheat pasta in place of enriched pasta to add fiber, magnesium, iron and B vitamins (niacin, thiamin and riboflavin) to your meal.
- The B vitamin thiamine is essential for the metabolism of carbohydrates into simple glucose sugar.