In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(physical object)cosa femininewhat's that thing? — ¿qué es eso?
- a thing of great beauty — un objeto de gran belleza
- I can't open the window, the thing's jammed! — no puedo abrir la ventana, está atrancada
- the damn thing refuses to start — el maldito no quiere arrancar
- I love your dress — what, this old thing? — me encanta tu vestido — ¿este trapo viejo?
- she's got one of those bottle-warmer things — tiene uno de esos cacharros para calentar biberones
- there was salad and paté and things — había ensalada, paté y ese tipo de cosa
- I did that thing that lots of blokes do when presented with a thing that has instructions.
- Yefu took only a few necessary things with him, including a cup, a mobile phone, and bedding.
- Lia wished the thing he had given her would just vibrate; a feeling of unease rested in the pit of her stomach.
- We went out to find some dinner and of course the only thing open was the chippie.
- If this thing goes out again, it'll cost as much to repair it as it will to replace it.
- Quite simply, the thing won't work without the base scanning the skies for missiles.
- Get an idea of prices by going to lots of shops that carry the kind of thing that interests you.
- I put this thing on and looked in the mirror and it was like I had turned into a cartoon.
- Margalo looked them up and down for the thing she had required both of them to bring.
- Helen has the material things many would envy, but she is desperately trying to break free.
- If you look at photos from way back, when you were a kid, the fashions date the thing.
- Didn't I say last night I would go to Croydon to spend a small fortune on things for my living room.
- All in the name of testing new materials for things like planes and spacecraft.
- My suitcase contains many things but one thing you can be sure of is that I've probably not got enough pants.
- He just wasn't into material things, but he did like to drink and get laid.
- Everyone is opting for the thing that sells the easiest and requires the least amount of work.
- The pink thing beside her is her G-string which she took out and decided not to wear back.
- If you had all the money you could wish for, name three things you would purchase.
- It has always been a family thing—we used to drive out in a bike and side-car when our two sons were small.
- But there was almost a reluctance to do sculpture, because it was such a family thing.
- The older son thing requires its own space, so the telling will be separate, if it happens.
- Blowing the whistle on any illegal or unethical activities is the right thing to do.
- The only thing enterprises could do was mass produce, regardless of market feedback.
- In the early days, punk was a Northern thing, and more specifically, a Manchester thing.
- This sort of thing happened quite often when Nathaniel was given a shock.
- You can see the genuine affection there and it's not a showbiz couple thing.
- Yes, he had to go and in going he did the last honourable thing open to him.
- He said it was very difficult not being able to work and doing the same thing day after day.
- There is one girl in my class who constantly says funny things which I wish I could remember later.
- Get out of the armchair, do things you enjoy and things you think will make a difference.
- The British Championships are now half way through and so far have been quite a close run thing.
- Born of all the distress of that situation came the one thing that I was truly unprepared for.
- One minute a team is going great, then a couple of putts go in or stay out and the whole thing switches round the other way.
- On the way back the worst thing possible that could happen in a car happened.
- Subman, who has a few years on me, went on and did the family thing, put on a few kilos, and gave up surfing.
- They are convinced they did the right thing in reporting the activities of the two youths.
- She was afraid because this modeling thing was a new situation so removed from her reality.
- The most important thing management can do is to stay in touch with the people who do the real work in the company.
- I don't enjoy shopping but wandering a mall with Wendy and Mark can be a fun thing.
- The frigid old crone who taught us made copulation seem like the most boring thing possible.
- Say what you will, but I believe the majority of people would do the same thing in our situation.
- At the awards ceremony, the pair said they would do the same thing again if the situation arose.
- If there is one thing referee Michael Jones doesn't do, it's play to the crowd.
- You should thus try to convince your husband that such a thing is not socially acceptable.
- I'm doing the premiere party thing tonight, so will have something to say about it tomorrow.
- The use of any part of any creature for this type of thing is quite unacceptable.
- Many people no longer believe in our capacity to control events and change things for the better.
- We can try and come up with ways of making things better, no matter how tough that may be.
- Even now, two years on, Smith struggles to describe exactly why things went so wrong.
- I remember we complained to one another at the time and thought how we wish things could change.
- Challenge your beliefs about the bad things that might happen if you show your emotions.
- The child also perceives that things are going well living with his grandmother.
- That is to say, he used it as an example of how bad things can get if we don't act soon enough.
- It seems like the lesson here is to let things slide, no matter how painful things get.
- There are times when I wish things were different, if only because the people deserve better.
- The good thing about gallows humour is no matter how bad things get you can always find some wag ready to crack a joke.
- No matter how bad things get, you must never think that God does not exist.
- The other alternative is to sit on the sidelines and wish that things were different.
- The kiss of love is the kiss of life and no matter how badly things have been going, it's the kiss that heals.
- But it's hard to tell this close to the event exactly how things are going to change.
- I now realise that all is not lost, no matter how bad things get, all is never lost.
- You hear a lot of longtime residents lament that they wish things were the way they used to be.
- I told Jacques to press this with all his might and not back down, no matter how dire things looked.
- It was doubtful, she knew, but nevertheless, she wished things had not ended the way they did.
- We worked hard and we fought hard, and I wish that things had turned out a little differently.
- Not for one instant, no matter how tough things got, would I have quit a fight.
2(situation, act)cosa femininea very funny thing happened — pasó algo muy cómico / una cosa muy cómica
- one thing that bothers me is … — algo que me molesta es …
- it's not a thing to be proud of — no es como para estar orgulloso
- there is one thing you could do — hay algo / una cosa que podrías hacer
- how could you say/do such a thing? — ¿cómo pudiste decir/hacer una cosa así?
- the things you say! — ¡qué cosas dices!
- the obvious thing to do would be to … — lo lógico sería …
- the only thing to do is … — lo único que se puede hacer es …
- we do things differently here — aquí hacemos las cosas de otra manera
- some things are best forgotten — hay cosas que es mejor olvidar
- there's no such thing — no hay tal cosa
- or some such thing — o algo parecido
- you know the sort of thing — tú sabes a qué me refiero
- I'm too old for this kind of thing — yo soy muy viejo para estos trotes
- these things happen — son cosas que pasan
- the same thing happened to me — a mí me pasó lo mismo
- its a good thing (that) … — menos mal que …
- all good things (must) come to an end — lo bueno se acaba pronto / dura poco
- first things first — hay que empezar por el principio
- he said the first thing that came into his head — dijo lo primero que se le ocurrió
- the very last thing I expected — lo que menos me imaginaba
- the last thing we want is for him to interfere — lo último que nos faltaría sería que se metiera él
- one thing at a time — una cosa a la vez
- one thing leads to another — una cosa lleva a la otra
- it is one thing to identify the problem, quite another to solve it — una cosa es identificar el problema y otra muy distinta resolverlo
- if it's not one thing, it's the other — si no es una cosa, es otra
- neither one thing nor the other — ni una cosa ni la otra
- what with one thing and another / the other — entre una cosa y otra
- that's the last thing we want — eso sería lo peor que podría pasar
- for one thing — para empezar
- there's only one thing for it: we'll have to walk — no hay más remedio que ir a pie
- she knows a thing or two about the subject — entiende mucho del tema
- they could teach us a thing or two — podrían enseñarnos unas cuantas cosas
- every single thing I do — absolutamente todo lo que hago
- he runs to the doctor with every little thing — corre al médico por cualquier cosa
- he hadn't done a thing — no había hecho absolutamente nada
- I understood nothing, not a thing — no entendí nada, absolutamente nada
- why did you have to name the poor boy Nero of all things?! — ¡mira que ponerle Nero al pobre chico!
- he painted the walls bright green, of all things! — pintó las paredes de un verde chillón ¡a quién se le ocurre!
- other things being equal, better soil means better crops — en igualdad de condiciones, con mejor tierra se obtienen mejores cosechas
- all things being equal, we should reach Munich by 10 — si no ocurre ningún imprevisto, deberíamos llegar a Munich antes de las 10
- to do the decent/honorable thing — hacer lo decente/honroso
- I want to do the right thing — quiero hacer lo correcto
- you did the right thing by saying no — hiciste bien en decir que no
- to expect great things of sb/sth — esperar mucho de algn/algo
- we had champagne, the real thing! — tomamos champán ¡del auténtico!
- you must be seeing things — tú estás viendo visiones
- it's just one of those things — son cosas de la vida
- to be a close/near thing
- they won, but it was a close thing — ganaron, pero raspando / por un pelo / por los pelos
- to be all things to all men — contentar a todo el mundo
3(relationship, of problem, mistake, affair, matter)asunto masculinewe must sort this thing out — tenemos que arreglar esto / este asunto
- I'm fed up with the whole thing — estoy harto del asunto
- getting married is a big thing — casarse es cosa seria / un asunto serio
- it's a stress-related thing — es un problema relacionado con el estrés
- it was a purely physical thing — fue pura atracción física
- to be on to / onto a good thing — tenérselo bien montado
- you put me on to a good thing — me diste un dato muy bueno
- to have a good thing going
- and you sell them for 200? you've got a good thing going there! — ¿y los vendes a 200? ¡qué bien te lo montas!
- (relationship) those two seem to have a good thing going — parece que lo de ellos dos marcha viento en popa
- (of problem, mistake) to make a big thing of sth — armar un escándalo por algo
- why does she have to make such a big thing of it? — ¿por qué tiene que armar tanto escándalo?
- we didn't want a great thing made of our anniversary — no queríamos que se hiciera gran cosa para nuestro aniversario
4.1(that which, what)lo quethe thing that worries/bothers me is … — lo que me preocupa/fastidia es …
- the thing I liked best — lo que más me gustó
4.2(what is needed)this necklace is just the thing for Helen — este collar es ideal para Helen
- will this screwdriver do? — the very thing! — ¿servirá este destornillador? — ¡justo lo que hace falta!
- I've got just the thing for you — tengo exactamente lo que necesitas / lo que te hace falta
- it wasn't quite the thing for the occasion — no era lo apropiado para la ocasión
4.3(crucial point, factor)enjoying yourself is the thing — de lo que se trata es de divertirse
- the thing is to be there early — lo importante es llegar temprano
- the thing about our system is that it's economical — la ventaja de nuestro sistema es que es económico
- the thing about Greg is (that) he can't take a joke — lo que pasa con Greg es que no sabe aceptar una broma
- the thing is, I've forgotten where I put it — resulta que / el caso es que / lo que pasa es que me he olvidado de dónde lo puse
4.4(the fashion)big hats are the thing nowadays — los sombreros grandes son el último grito
5.1(belongings, equipment)cosashe washed the breakfast things — lavó las cosas del desayuno
- we packed our things and left — hicimos las petacas y nos fuimos
- you'd better take those wet things off — es mejor que te quites esa ropa mojada
- bring your swimming things — traigan traje de baño y toalla, etcétera
5.2(the situation, matters, belongings, equipment)cosasif things don't improve — si las cosas no mejoran
- I need time to think things over — necesito tiempo para pensarlo
- as things stand — tal (y) como están las cosas
- the way things are going — tal (y) como van las cosas
- by the look of things — según parece
- how are things at home? — ¿qué tal andan las cosas en casa?
- how's things? — ¿qué tal?
- how are things with you? — ¿y tú qué tal andas?
5.3(the situation, matters, matters)a taste for all things Greek — un gusto por todo lo griego
6(person, creature)he didn't know what to do, poor thing! — el pobre no sabía qué hacer
- you poor thing! — ¡pobrecito!
- not like that, you silly thing! — ¡así no, tonto!
- you lucky thing! — ¡qué suerte tienes!
- what a lovely little thing she is! — ¡qué cosita más preciosa!
- why, you cheeky thing! — ¡mira que eres descarado!
- bright young things — chicos y chicas de sociedad
7informal(preference, ideal)opera isn't really my thing — en realidad la ópera no es lo mío
- I want to be able to do my own thing without anybody interfering — yo quiero hacer lo que a mí me parezca
- she left the company to do her own thing — se fue de la empresa para trabajar por su cuenta
- the latest thing in hats — el último grito en sombreros
- to have a thing about sb/sth
- I can't eat cheese, I've got a / this thing about it — no puedo comer queso, le tengo como asco
- he has a thing about cleanliness — es un maniático de la limpieza
- he had a thing about power — tenía la obsesión del poder
- you seem to have quite a thing about that girl — parece que te ha dado fuerte con esa chica
8(in expressions of time)first thing (in the morning) — a primera hora (de la mañana)
- that's what I always do last thing (at night) — eso es lo último que hago todas las noches antes de acostarme
- next thing, you'll be telling me that … — luego me dirás que …
- the next thing I knew, it was midnight — cuando me di cuenta, era medianoche
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.